Traveling with children

Apr 23rd, 2000, 04:31 PM
Maria

Traveling with children

My husband and I will be traveling with a 10 yr. old and an 18 month old to Spain at the end of June for 2 weeks. Any special things I should know? Are restaurants/hotels child-friendly? We plan to rent a car so we can stop when we need to. Any comments or suggestions appreciated!

Apr 23rd, 2000, 06:18 PM
No

Go to Disney LandWorld your kids are not as quiet, well behaved or mildmanner as you think! The kids will have a better time and you'd be somewhere designed especially for your little darlings!

Apr 23rd, 2000, 08:10 PM
against flame

Fodors, delete this message. This is a good forum-don't ruin it with idiots.

Apr 23rd, 2000, 08:18 PM
no flame

I agree,[email protected] keep quiet if you have nothing good/helpful to say.

To Maria, hope you'll have a great time with your kids. It's tough travelling with kids, but definitely memorable for everyone and loads more fun, IMO.

Apr 24th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Ellen

Maria: Ignore the anti-kids extremists on this board. Friends of ours travelled to Spain with their toddler last year and said that they were embraced by many of the people they met. If anything, be prepared for lots of strangers wanting to entertain your 18 month old. Ellen

Apr 24th, 2000, 07:32 AM
Beth Y.

Oh, Maria, you have opened up a can of worms. Prepare to be told that you should not go to Europe with kids by other posters on this forum. I guess they feel they are offensive somehow. However, I am going to work on an assumption that you are capable of assuring that your kids do not disturb others and go from there. We traveled with a 1 year old to France in September and are headed to London and Spain in early July with my 10 year old niece and then almost 2 year old daughter. It can be done. Amazingly, Europeans have kids too and travel with them all the time. Renting a car is good, we took the car seat along for safety. We never ran into problems with hotels, restaurants being not kid friendly, but then, we did not take her to any high end places and expect her to behave. Most places in Spain, from my recollection, are family places as they tend to take their kids along everywhere. I recall being in a restaurant in Madrid, fairly late at night, and seeing a Spanish kid in his pajamas in the restaurant and no one seemed to think anything of it!
My only advice is to prepare as you would for any trip with kids, you know, plenty of distracting things, such as books and toys, for the little one, keep a stash of something she likes to eat, such as cheerios or kix, so that if she gets fussy at a difficult time, you can appease her. Of course, the pacifier works too. Otherwise, try to keep them on some schedule for naps and food. And don't expect too much, schedule in play and rest. There are generally playgrounds all over, its a great way to hang out with the locals. I have yet to travel with a 10 year old, but I will assume that he/she is a good traveler or you wouldn't be contemplating this. With my niece, she has been trying to learn Spanish and reading every book she can to get ready for the trip. Have fun. Prepare for other posts to the contrary. Oh, also do a search, there have been many similar posts lately with good advice.

Apr 24th, 2000, 07:54 AM
Maria

Thanks to all for your advice...also, to the paid Disney advertiser! My 10 year old is a seasoned traveler and is joining me listening to Spanish language tapes in the car. The 18 month old is very mellow and well behaved. I'll search out some other posts in the hopes of finding some family-friendly hotels in Madrid, Seville, Valencia and Barcelona.

Apr 24th, 2000, 08:30 AM
Lauren

Maria,

I traveled to Barcelona and Madrid with my 2 1/2 year old last year with my husband and mother-in-law. My daughter picked up the most Spanish of us all. We found lots of playgrounds and really enjoyed the Park Retiro in Madrid with the real Crystal Palace. I highly recommend apartment hotels for your family. We stayed at the Suite Prado in Madrid and I recommend Citadines in Barcelona. Just remember that there is no such thing as a non-smoking room in most hotels, in case you were wondering. We traveled by train which worked well since we also stopped in another small town for some business.

E-mail me if you want more info.

Lauren