Reload this Page >

Traveling to Scotland

Search

Traveling to Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 1998, 02:18 PM
Connie

Traveling to Scotland

My brother and I are planning a trip to Scotland in November 98... We need tips on great places to stay and see and if we should rent a car or take trains? We are young and courageous, so give us what you got!

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 10:56 AM
Lisa

We loved Scotland, esp. the people. It has been about 15 years since we were there, but at that time you could just travel along any secondary road and see B &B signs, It was a great way to find inexpensive lodging (at least at that time) and meet people. Edinburgh was great. We also loved St. Andrews. While my husband golfed my daughters and I explored the ruins of an old castle complete with dungeon and shopped for great sweaters.

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 04:00 PM
Meg Greenwood

Was at this site seeking B&B info for Scotland and found your note. Was there 9 yrs ago, very glad we railed almost everywhere (look into 'Britrail' for railpass info and destinations) we met A LOT of really nice locals and other travellers like ourselves. We booked our B&B's ahead then, but might not this trip, just call 1 or 2 days ahead, getting B&B listings in Scotland.
Enjoy!! Meg in OK

Old Feb 12th, 1998, 10:59 PM
Joan Farrelly

My partner & I are driving around Scotland in May 1998. A recent visitor to Scotland (July 97) told us village pubs had bed and breakfast for 18 pounds.We were told the pubs are lively and a great place to meet the locals. Enjoy your holidays.

Old Feb 13th, 1998, 12:36 PM
sgorces

I would have to suggest you rent a car for at least part of the time. The train service is fine between major points but much of Scotland's charm is off the beaten track. See Edinburgh, and add Glasgow if you like big cities. Pause for a bit in the Scottish Borders area, most pass right through but its charms are many. The town of Peebles is a great base less than an hour from both Ed and Glasgow. The Minnebank Guest House there is great and reasonable, and sits right on the Tweed Walk (a fine foot trail). From Ed, go north to Sterling and then perhaps on to Brae Mar, walk around the area of the Lin of Dee, see Balmoral and Deeside Castles if you have time. You don't need to make a special trip to Aberdeen but if you're near, see Stonehaven castle and have terrific Indian food at Shabazz. Then its on to Inverness, dozens of B&Bs there (Ryeford is a fine one) there are also some nearby that are right on the shore of Loch Ness. Got more time? Head up to Eileen Donnan Castle on out to the Islands. Otherwise head down the Great Glen, see Neptune's Ladder and continue to Glen Coe and Oban. Maybe I should just show you, this makes me wan't to go back!