Traveling to Rome in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be traveling to Rome, staying 6 nights in March anyone have any suggestions or things we must do or sights we must see? We are staying at the Leonardi Eliseo hotel, can anyone give comments on this hotel?
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM

We went to Rome last March. I wasn't quite prepared for how cold it was. Some rain but I had to try to find a store to buy warm socks so I could wear 2 pair a day. Bring silk long underwear to wear under your clothes. Anyway, we had a blast. Do a search but one of the best things we did was to contact Context Rome. We went with their intellegent English-speaking guides on a tour of the Palentine Hill, forum and colliseum (guides all had Phds), a day tour to Pompeii/Naples, a tour of the vatican and a tour of anceint Rome. The one on anceint Rome was the only one we could have passed on, the rest were outstanding! We also really, really loved the Capitoline Museum and the Borgehesse Museum (you have to get tickets ahead). Both were great. Could have skipped the catacombs. Taxi's can drop you off but the bus back is not easy to find and crowded. They pack you into groups according to what language you want. If a bus pulls up with your language, well, you can't hear the guide because the walkways are narrow. You wind up pushing to get to the front or just aimlessly following the people in front of you with no explanation. I don't know where your hotel is but we stayed near the colliseum based on recommendations of this board (Hotel Lancelot). The hotel was right on the money when it came to restaurant recommendations. Hit and mostly miss when we tried to figure out where to eat spontaneously.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:29 AM

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...ation=rome@130
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Oh yeah...don't miss the Pantheon! Personally, we could have skipped the spanish steps and Trevi fountain. So many people crowded around and vendors hawking their wares.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM
sjj

If you're interested in ancient Rome, see the Arch of Constantine, the Coloseum, the Roman Forum, the Capitoline Hill museums, the Pantheon, the Ara Pacis, and the Baths of Caracalla. For urban architecture, I suggest the Campo di Fiori, the Piazza Navonna, the Piazza della Rotonda, and the Piazza del Popolo. For religious reasons or general interest, there's St. Peter's and the Sistine Chapel. Finally, Rome is filled with art, much of it in churches.
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Hi

My wife and I went there in July a couple of years back and here is a trip report with pictures and links: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there. I have also made an interactive Google map that shows you the location of some of the attractions and some of the restaurants that we went to. Here is the map http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm . Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 02:51 PM

I've been to Rome 5 times.Mostly a week at a time.
One of my trips was in March.
Great for no crowds, not so great for dinner outside.
When I was there the weather was not all that bad (50's in day time) and I really loved the lesser crowds.
You can pretty much enjoy all the same things you can in the other times of the year.
Do a search. There's enough here in agreement that will help
you plan the highlights.
Sorry,can't help you with that hotel.