Search

traveling solo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 06:23 PM
julia

traveling solo

I have traveled to Europe a few times in the past but this time I am planning to travel alone. I am planning to visit Italy and France in late May-early June. I am looking for suggestions to "safe" cities in either countries. I'm interested in the Provence area (been to Aix,Avignon,Arles) and in Italy have been to Florence, Milan, Siena, Pisa, Bologna. Looking for suggestions for other cities that within easy access of trains and buses. Wondering if Rome is a good idea to do alone or in a group. <BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2000, 06:28 PM
Gustavo Meirelles

Julia, <BR> <BR>I am also going to France - alone - in late May (20 ) early June (until 10). I will be in Paris, and, for one weekend, in Prague. I think Paris is the best option. for me, the most beuatiful city in Europe. (We could maybe meet there!) <BR>Yours, <BR> <BR>Gustavo

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 06:08 AM
Carol

Rome is a fabulous place to do on your own--as a matter of fact, so is all of Italy. As a solo traveller, I've only had wonderful experiences in Italy and France--as a New Yorker, the only place I've ever been nervous is the Paris metro in the evening (buses are definitely preferable). If I find myself feeling a little lonely, I hook up with a one-day bus tour to someplace interesting and always enjoy being with the other tourists I meet there. Another strategy of mine is to stay in smaller hotels where the other tourists tend to be a little friendlier at breakfast, for example, than in the larger more formal and expensive places.

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 08:56 AM
elvira

I have been a solo traveler for years, to France and England mostly. I've never felt 'unsafe' in any way - but, then, I've never felt unsafe in New York City or Boston or Miami. Common sense, your intuition, and normal precautions work wherever you are. <BR> <BR>Like Carol, I found that smaller, budget hotels were great for chatting with other tourists (and a mix from different countries) at breakfast; I also found that while riding on a train I'd strike up conversations with other solo travelers or couples - sometimes other Americans, sometimes not, struggling with language, sharing food, telling stories. A couple of times, in crowded restaurants, I would share a table with someone and have a much different dining experience than I'd planned. <BR> <BR>The best part about being solo is all the stuff you get to do unencumbered - sit all day at a cafe and read; eat pastry for lunch; sit in front a painting and get really emotional; buy tacky souvenirs; quietly slip into a church and listen to the choir practice; make a fuss over a cute child; spend an afternoon watching French soaps; order a Dubonnet or an eau de vie; stop to watch a puppet show.....and nobody saying "c'mon, this is boring" "can't we go, I'm tired" "what's the matter? why are you crying? you mad at me?" "yuck this food sucks"

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 11:09 AM
colleen

Hi Julia - YOU GO GIRL! I was in Rome by myself in October 99, and found it to be quite safe. I didn't stay out very late, tho, I was back at the hotel by 9pm, which after a long day walking and sightseeing was fine with me! I do recommend eating your big meal at lunch tho. I was stared at (pitied, I think) at an evening meal, and decided never again.. The subways are ok as there's always lots of people around, but watch the Rome Termini subway station (not the train station proper) on a Friday or Saturday night, it becomes a party area with lots of drunks by the entrance to the subway. I was harrassed there,(not much - just a "hey you!") but I moved very quickly, and he gave up. Florence is very very safe, I had no problems there, and Venice as well. Venice is wonderful on your own, you can stroll for hours! Sigh.. I haven't been to Provence, so I can't help you there. So to finalize, if you watch your attire, and avoid revealing clothing you'll be ok, also wear dark sunglasses in Rome, because if the guys see you looking at them they take that as an invitation to chat..Have a great trip!!!!!