Reload this Page >

Traveling on Greek Ferries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 02:20 PM
Patrick

Will be traveling in the Greek Islands for about 5 weeks in late May, early June. Although I can bring up some schedules, I am having some difficulty with the whole idea of traveling from island to island on the ferries. For example a hydrofoil from Samos to Kos makes 7 stops and takes almost 6 hours. Are the hydrofoils totally unbearable? Do you sit inside? Is there a place to store luggage or do you have to sit on top of it for the whole trip? Are the regular ferries better?? I don't mind spending a day traveling within the islands and pulling into other ports, but if we are stuck inside and have to constantly guard our luggage, is there any point?? We will fly from Rhodes to Crete, and from Mykonos to Athens, but planned to take boats from Kusadasi to Samos, Samos to Kos, Kos to Rhodes, (also Rhodes to Symi), and from Crete to Santorini, and Santorini to Mykonos. Are we totally crazy??

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 02:37 PM
chrissy

i took a fery from santorini to crete last june. i would never do it again. the ferry was 2 hours late which i heard was typical. also, everyone rushed on the boat to get a good seat (which are in the back of the ship) but i didn't feel unsafe.

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 09:17 PM
April

Our trips on Greek ferries were almost disappointing because they were so uneventful but, seriously, it was more pleasant that I'd expected. They're no luxury ships - and you have to haul all your luggage up flights of stairs since there are no elevators, but it was interesting to stop at islands along the way and then to watch all the activity while in port. Those stops made the 8-9 hour trips seem not so long. <BR> <BR>We booked a cabin which may have made a difference. The area was guarded by a couple of men who claimed it wasn't a problem to leave our luggage in the unlocked cabin. I wasn't entirely comfortable with the idea but nothing bad happened. We didn't try the hydrofoils. <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 04:29 AM
Patrick

Thanks for the comments, but April, I'm confused. You rented a cabin but it wouldn't lock?? I was hoping not to rent a cabin just to store luggage, but hate to have to be stuck in one spot for a five hour trip hovering over our luggage. Do any of the ferries have luggage checks or lockable storage lockers? Or am I just worrying too much? Also do the ships have more than one class, like an upper deck for first class? I have logged onto several sites that tell about Greek Ferries, but can't find any of this type of information.

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Paulo

Patrick, my ferry/hydrofoil travelling <BR>in Greece is very limited. We took a ferry from the Piraeus to Santorini and an hydrofoil from Rhodes to Marmaris. <BR> <BR>On the ferry we travelled there were 5 "classes": <BR>A -exterior luxury cabin on the level of the reception desk (window-bathroom) <BR>A/B -interior luxury cabin on the level of the reception desk (bathroom) <BR>ATS -first class lounge <BR>B -interior cabin one level below the reception desk (no bathroom) <BR>C -deck passenger (air-type seats) <BR> <BR>In classes A, A/B and B the luggage stays in the cabin. I don't know where travellers on ATS class have their luggage (I think you may check them in, but don't blame me if you don't . In class C you'll have to keep you luggage next to your seat. <BR> <BR>In the hydrofoil we used, there was a single class and the luggage was checked in ... but the trip takes only about 40 minutes. In longer trips like the ones you're considering, there should be from a single class (economic) to 3 classes (vip, business and economic). It's my guess (maybe a wild one!) that you may have your luggage checked in ... at least if you're travelling vip or business but possibly also if travelling on economic. In any event, I never heard people complaining about the issue you raised ... I can only conclude that one shouldn't have any problems. <BR> <BR>From Samos to Kos and from Kos to Rhodes, you should be taking an hydrofoil. If you have the opportunity to be there early enough to choose your seat, take one that sits over the foils (if the sea is kind of rough, you'll rock quite a bit if you take a seat in the front part of the boat). From Crete to Santorini you should be taking a ferry (there are no hydrofoils that I know of doing this line). From Santorini to Mykonos you may either take a ferry or an hydrofoil. When the wind is blowing hard (usually not in June, though) the hydrofoils don't travel and the ferry would be your only option. If the hydrofoils are travelling in the day of your trip they should rock more than the hydrofoils serving the Dodecanese islands (the sea appears to be rougher in the Cyclades!). <BR> <BR>In case you want to check directly with the companies you most probably will be dealing with: <BR> <BR>kos-rodos: PN Nearchos-Amphi Shipping Co (+30 24225449) <BR>samos-kos: the above or Samos Hydrofoils (+30 27325065) <BR>crete-santorini: Minoan Lines ([email protected]) <BR>santorini-mykonos: Speed Lines (+30 28623660) <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 12:30 PM
April

That's right, Patrick, there were cabins but no locks on the doors. If I recall correctly, I think we had to show a pass or our tickets to get into the cabin section. So, as long as the other people using cabins aren't thieves, you're alright! <BR> <BR>There were different classes on the ships we took as Paulo explained, but I don't know of any lockable lockers. <BR>

Old Feb 29th, 2000, 12:54 PM
Catalana

Patrick- <BR> <BR>I've travelled many of the routes you've planning to go on. I love the ferries, but depending on their schedules, you can arrive/depart at not the greatest times in terms of getting sleep. I don't know how heavy you are travelling, but if you pack light and have a lock on your luggage you'll be fine. Keep your valuables with you at all times. <BR> <BR>As for the boat from Kusadasi to Samos, if you are at all prone to seasickness take the drugs/patch whatever. My mom and I were the only passengers on a boat carrying about 150 people who didn't get sick on the crossing (I grew up on the water). We ended up in the front of the boat getting soaked because it was better than being in the cabin watching everyone else barf. If you stay flexible, you should have a great time. Also, I think Naxos is a major "crossroads" for the ferries, and it is a wonderful, wonderful island. Cat <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 07:45 AM
beejay

1st, may i suggest you pack light even for 5 wks, you will wear youself out with a lot of luggage & heavy ones. sugg. (1) tagalong & backpack. handwashing is easy or find a laundramat.i spend 3 wks & pack less ea. yr. unless nec. i suggest you book your 1st stop & then either book from that island or wait until you move on & get a room when you arrive..check the travel agencies (they don't all carry ea others dates) for the best time in travel (2hr vs 4hr) if you're not locked into any departure time you can decide best time to leave. hydrofoils are ok for shorter trips, your luggage is stacked in a holding area,there is no seating outside, but you can step out for air, the "cats" are larger & again a place to step out. for longer trips, the ferries are the best, not luxuary liners, but you have seating outside & can enjoy the sun & air. i have always kept by luggage at my seat & have never felt insecure about this. in all cases, remember, you have to carry your luggage! expect some pushing & shoving to get on & off the boats, but you will soon become a pro. just keep all your money & passport on your body at all times. whatever, just sit back, relax & take on the greeks way, no hurry, & no problems....enjoy!!!!