traveling in germany

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 06:21 PM
Flavio

traveling in germany

What are the good places to visit in Germany during the weekends, departing from Frankfurt, by train. <BR>

Old May 13th, 1999, 12:14 PM
susanne

just returned from germany- our daughter kives in an old walled city in the midst of the wine country called iphofen-worth a train ride which could also include a trip to nuremberg (great sushi restaurantn near natl museum) a trip to wurtzburg with its beautiful cathedrals and the marianberg museum, and the city my husband calls the carmel of germany- rothenberg au main. we had great food all over, train travel is terrific. have a wonderful time.

Old May 13th, 1999, 12:15 PM
susanne

just returned from germany- our daughter kives in an old walled city in the midst of the wine country called iphofen-worth a train ride which could also include a trip to nuremberg (great sushi restaurantn near natl museum) a trip to wurtzburg with its beautiful cathedrals and the marianberg museum, and the city my husband calls the carmel of germany- rothenberg au main. we had great food all over, train travel is terrific. have a wonderful time.

Old May 13th, 1999, 01:21 PM
Lee

Flavio: Depends on how creative and how many weekends. <BR> <BR>Close by: Frankfurt to Weisbaden. Take a ride on the KD line for a boat trip on the Rhine River. You could do this in one day or stay overnight in one of the little towns between Mainz/Wiesbaden and Koblenz. <BR> <BR>Take the train to Fussen and connect to Schwangau. You can see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles. What a trip! <BR> <BR>Take the train east to Wurzburg to see the city and I believe that you can connect to Rothenburg on the Tauber. A charming, preserved medieval town over 500 years old. <BR> <BR>Take the train for a day trip just south to Heidelburg. A great university town and castle on the Neckar River. <BR> <BR>You could trek up to Cologne and see the beautiful cathedral and stroll the river roads and quaint side streets. <BR> <BR>Try the trip westward and stay overnight in Trier, the oldest city in Germany, which is also very pretty. <BR> <BR>Farther away (long weekend): Paris is just five to six hours by (slow) train. <BR> <BR>Berlin could be another long weekend or even Munich. The possibilities are almost endless. Take a look at some guidebooks and some maps. You can see the Deutches Bahn schedule on the web. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>

Old May 14th, 1999, 12:32 PM
Peggy

There are so many possibilities, but I love Bavaria. Garmisch and Berchestgarden are lovely. You can take a boat to an island to see one of King Ludwig's castles Chimsee. It has been so many years since I was there, but it was just lovely. Holland is also very close, as is Belgium. The passion play in Oberamaggau excuse spelling is also a possibility,that is if you can get tickets. I bought a beautiful wood carving there 25 years ago. Enjoy!