traveling from Dublin to Dingle

Old Mar 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
traveling from Dublin to Dingle

We are taking our first trip to Ireland on April 18th. We will be driving from Dublin to Dingle on the 19th. What route should we take and what might we want to visit on our way? Also, we will be traveling from Cong back to Dublin on the 23rd. What route should we take and what might we want to visit on our way?
Old Mar 14th, 2010, 06:33 PM

It's been a while since I was there so others will give far better ideas than I can, but my first thought is, that is a long, long way to go for one day. Is it possible for you to fly into Shannon instead, and drive from there to Dingle? I think that's about 3.5 to 4 hours.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Wow. That's a long drive in one day. Well, if you take a look at different driving websites mentioned on this site, you can see you have several options. The drive from Dublin to Dingle, if you stay on the faster N/M roads, can still take 5-6 hours, I believe (trying to recall). So that limits what stops you can make.

I think in order to make that long drive in one day -- you might have enough time for one major stop -- maybe recommend the Rock of Cashel? Since you could take the N7 out of Dublin to the N9 to the N8 pretty quickly; spend a couple hours at the Rock of Cashel, before heading on the next 3.5+ hours to Dingle.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 06:43 AM

I can't help on the drive although the suggestion to fly into Shannon is excellent, I think Dingle is wonderful. My family loved the Dingle area and can't wait to go back. It was peaceful and calm and beautiful!
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 01:06 PM

Check out www.aaroadwatch.ie there is a route planner at the end of the page which will give you an idea of distances etc.

Shannon would be good option but if that doesnt work out and you really want to get to Dingle early in your trip - consider stopping at Tralee and going on to Dingle the next morning. Other options could be going via Kilkenny a nice town to overnight in or stopping at Cashel ot Tipperary town.