Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travelin Switzerland in 1 week! Need Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there...I'm arriving in Zurich on the 26th of Dec...Where would any1 suggest i go? I've heard good things about Gruyeres and the H.R. Geiger Museum and Bar there.(Any1 know anything about the one in Chur?)..Goal is to make it to Geneva on the 29th...Where would any1 suggest me going from Zurich? And what would be the best path by train? Personally, I'm a nature lover, So Any path and town to stop in that would be all about the mountains and nature is what id love..Thanks a ton...Greg
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:49 AM

The Berner Oberland is roughly on the Zurich-Geneva train route. Stop in Interlaken and then take a train to Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Wengen, Grindlewald, or Gimmelwald. All are mountain towns.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:52 AM

Oops. Can't actually take a train to Gimmelwald or Murren. From Lauterbrunnen you need a bus and cable car for the former, and a funicular and short train for the latter.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Berner Oberland as mentioned above. You might want to also check out Engelberg, which is a 60-90 minute train ride from Zurich. Beautiful place.

http://www.engelberg.ch/en/index.php
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 06:13 PM

You are arriving in Switzerland on a public holiday, so most restaurants other than in airports and hotels will be closed and all shops will be closed. You are going to the mountains at the most popular time of year. Most hotels will already have been booked out months in advance, and have 10 day minimum stay requirements; although you may luck out and get in based on previous cancellations. I suggest you start looking now if you are interested in any of the mountain towns listed above. Trains will be very crowded on the 26th and most of that week.

Take a look at rail.ch for schedules.

The Bernese Oberland is very beautiful but is not "on the way" to Geneva form Zurich. It is in the opposite direction. Geneva is to the west, the Bernese Oberland is to the east and south. Get a map. It is a small country so perhaps with 3 days you could include it, but if you also want to see Gruyere and Chur you will be quite pressed for time as these are quite a distance apart as well. If you want to go to Gruyere and Alp areas, you would be better off IMO getting on a train from Zurich and heading toward the Chateau d'Oux area, then Gruyere (or vice versa) and then on to Geneva.

Old Dec 13th, 2005, 03:07 AM

It is possible to visit the Oberland on your way to Geneve. Zurich to Interlaken (daytripping up to Murren or Wengen or Grindelwald), then Interlaken to Montreux and then on to Geneve. So while not a straight shot, it is, as Edward mentioned, on your way. But having said that, I think I'd agree with Cicerone that Chateau d'Oex might be the place for you. It's a beautiful mountain village with a wonderful folk art museum. It's on the rail route between Spiez on Thunersee and Montreux on Lac Leman. You can visit Gruyeres from there before going on to Montreux and Geneve. J.
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

thank you all very much, i really appreciate it..
Old Dec 13th, 2005, 04:33 PM

ttt