Reload this Page >

travelers'checks, ATM's????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 03:07 PM
sandy

What is the best way to pay for things. I will be in Paris, Barcelona, and Rome? How reliable are the ATM's, and when I use my account is it francs or US dollars that I am withdrawing?

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 03:20 PM
M & J

We use ATMs with no problems, except for once at the Vienna airport. The machine "stole" Jane's card and the fellow in the kiosh refused to return it and said it was being kept for "security reasons." I then used my card, no problems. The only difference was expiration dates---her's was 09/01 and my card was 09/99. Perhaps that machine was yet ready for Y2K. We now have several cards with 12/99. Also, the ATM will pay you in local currency. You probably need to have a cheat sheet of how many francs equals $100,etc. We charge everything we can-much better exchange rates. Make sure you keep your ATM and credit cards in a money pouch.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 03:25 PM
elvira

There are several postings on this subject, but consensus seems to be: ATMs are everywhere and easy to use; you get your funds in local currency and your bank converts it with the BANK'S exchange rate - not the rip-off rate found at exchange bureaus- into us$ on your statement. There's a 50-50 split on whether you need to take Travelers' Checks. If you do, get them in US$ in larger denominations (like $100) because the fee PER CHECK can be overwhelming. <BR>Also, get a few $$ worth of the country's currency before you arrive, so you don't need to scramble for cash upon arrival (exception is if you are going to be driving; you'll hit towns along the way to find an ATM. I just hate arriving via train or plane with no cash and have to deal with an ATM before I've had a cup of coffee or gone to the bathroom). <BR>

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 10:16 AM
Ed

Detailed info at http://twenj.com/moneyand.htm <BR> <BR>CC is best (presuming you aren't running a balance and paying high interest charges.) <BR> <BR>ATMs usually work, though _two_ cards a good idea in case one gets swallowed. <BR> <BR>Withdrawals in francs (lire, pesetas), converted to the dollar equivalent when billed to your account. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:32 PM
Bob

Just used ATMs in Paris and Barcelona with no problem. Like others, I have two cards just in case. I use to carry TCs but have gotten out of the habit, though, it is probably still a wise idea to have a few just in case.

Old Apr 20th, 1999, 01:42 PM
Ronn

Just returned from London and Paris. We took no Travelers cheques; only AMEX, VISA, and ATM cards (plus a few hundred dollars in pounds and francs. Had no problem with any of the ATM's in either city. As noted in other replies, have a rough idea of the conversion. Plus, if you have a maximum limit on each withdrawal; i.e., $200, then you cannot withdraw 200 pounds! Also, as noted, it is best to have some small currency on arrival for coffee, snack, tips, toilets. Enjoy the trip!