Travelers Checks

Old May 20th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Aubs

Travelers Checks

What about travelers checks are they useful are you better at using your debit or credit card when you arrive to get money out?

Old May 20th, 2001, 01:51 PM

I was in Italy last fall and travelled strictly with my atm and credit cards. My friends brought both cards and travellers checks. They never cashed the checks and ended up using them to pay their credit card bill. My advice go plastic and have fun.

Old May 20th, 2001, 04:03 PM
Jayelle

Definitely use your debit and credit cards whenever you can. However, I always carry some traveler's checks in case my cards are ever lost or stolen. I rarely use the checks, and just deposit them back into my bank account when I return home. If you're a AAA member, you can get the checks from them for no fee, so it doesn't cost you anything to do this. <BR> <BR>There was an interesting article in the NY Times travel section a week or so ago about some of the difficulties that you may run into trying to get your credit or debit cards replaced when you're traveling. Some card issuers are just not equipped to provide a replacement to someone who is overseas. For example, the article mentioned that some banks will only send a replacement card to your home address, or that some will send the replacement card to your hotel, but the new card can only be activated by calling from your home telephone. I'd always assumed that I could get a replacement card sent to me within a few days, and had never thought about some of these things. For that reason, I would definitely suggest carrying the traveler's checks just to be on the safe side.

Old May 21st, 2001, 10:56 AM
Tony

Plastic is the way to travel. However, make sure you know your PIN number for your credit card and that it works before you leave the states. A friend failed to do this and her PIN/Visa card could not be used in Paris. Getting a replacement and borrowing funds from friends in the meantime was a problem. The same is true with a debit card, although if you use debit, most likely you have used your PIN many times already.

Old May 21st, 2001, 11:27 AM
BethY

I agree with the previous poster. I use debit and credit cards and found them both well-accepted, but always have some travellers checks for back-up. Have only had to use them on one occasion. I would rather be prepared than ever have to have any inconvenience in my trip. The charge for TC's is minimal in comparison to the comfort they provide.

Old May 21st, 2001, 01:05 PM
elaine

I too am of the "belt plus suspenders" school of thought, I want all my bases covered because the downside can play havoc with a vacation. <BR>So I use the credit card as much as possible for purchases, use the atm card to get local cash, and carry a couple of <BR>hundred dollars in two traveler's checks just in case of misfortune. Those travelers checks won't last me long if I've really lost my credit and debit card, but at least I'll be able to eat until I figure out what to do. <BR>According to a recent article in the New York Times it is important to find out before you go exactly what you should do <BR>if your credit and atm cards are lost or stolen. For example, in some cases <BR>you have to contact your issuing bank, in some cases Master card or Visa "Central". <BR>Some organizations claim to replace cards "immediately" but will only mail replacement cards to your home address, which won't help you if you are traveling. Even "immediately" can mean one or two or three business days, which won't help you get through a weekend,not to mention what to do if you're scheduled to move to another destination. You should also notify your bank and card companies before you leave about your plans for card usage, because they have been known to put a hold on accounts that suddenly show heavy usage in new locations.