Travel TV

Jan 9th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Tracy

Travel TV

OK . . . so the current Travel Channel isn't so good (ref: the other thread).

What would be your ideal travel series covering Western Europe? Television formats now gratefully received . . .

Jan 9th, 2001, 11:48 AM
elvira

I'd like to see two sorts of shows:
1) A local guide, like the folks who do Original London Walks, taking us through his/her neck of the woods. Good for "been there, now what do I see if I go back?".
2) Tour of a place by a tourist with a special interest, like a chef going to Tuscany, or an actor visiting London, or a gardener visiting France. I don't mean Wolfgang Puck or Jack Nicholson, but amateurs or semi-professionals who are REALLY visiting the place and tracking down stuff they want to see.

Jan 9th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Shanna

Soemthing a la "The Source" by Michener. While I don't like much that he wrote, this tale went from present backwards in one chapter and from the beginning (OF TIME!) forwards to meet at an important, exciting event. I like to know the history of a place and not only names and dates but how people lived and who they loved, how they dressed, who they worshipped, what they ate, customs and culture through time. I'd like to see a story of Paris, for example, from the time it was a settlement on the islands in the Seine. I'd love to see the tale of the English Channel from the earliest known records. And what drove those Danes to Iceland? Oh, wait, maybe that should be the History Channel which is getting just about as worthless as the travel channel.

Jan 9th, 2001, 02:02 PM
alan

Hi I would like to see shows such as Elvira suggests. More off beat, more like the "Lonely Planet" tv series. I'v used the Travel Channel in the past to get ideas or even to talk about places we've been, but now it is so very different. Like to see more hosted shows off the beaten path somewhat.Don't want to get into the other thread but it has to go back to its roots. alan

Jan 9th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Al

I suggest that an American father and his son retrace the father's memories of his days in Europe during World War II. Let them be guided by local people. Let the locals tell what they remember, too.
That way, the father and son and their guides can show how to get around, what to see, what was destroyed and what was rebuilt. Let the son go off on his own, showing the nightlife, the impacts of technology on everyday life, the ease of transportation, etc. I, for one, am tired of gushy people ooohing and ahhhing about fancy watering holes, overpriced "name" restaurants, and "where I found my Gucci shoes at half price." The Travel Channel needs to go back to its roots, stop trying to palm off the same old shows that date back years, and instead use some creativity.

Jan 9th, 2001, 02:30 PM
lisa

The current travel show that I enjoy the most is Burt Wolf's "Travels and Traditions" on PBS -- while his main focus in his other series has been on food and cooking, this is more of a travel series. I like the diverse places he chooses to highlight -- the island of Curacao in the Netherlands Antilles; the Swiss Alps; Beaver Creek, Colorado; Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; etc. I also like that he focuses on the history of the place, how that influenced the culture, then shows a few highlights (museums, outdoor activities, etc.) and then the FOOD! Only downside is very little practical information is given in terms of transportation, accommodations, etc. -- but then you can get that elsewhere.

There is also an "Avventura" series about Italy on PBS which is kind of interesting, although that host focuses more on food.

I am curious about why there are no travel series on television that are hosted by women. I do not count the CNN "Travel Now" show (which airs at 11 AM on Saturday mornings, or at least it used to), which I think is pretty lousy. For a while every single show featured Ayers Rock in Australia -- an interesting subject for one show, but every week? I don't get it.

Rick Steves, Burt Wolf, et al. are fine, but I am ready for some new travel series, and it would not kill them to let a woman host one.

Interestingly, National Geographic unveiled their TV channel this week, which might have some travel-related programming -- but I think you can only get it if you have DirectTV, not on cable.

Jan 9th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Al

Absolutely! Women can and do make great travel hosts on TV. Justine Shapiro, I understand, has left TV. Tracey Gallagher may return. There was a great British lady, Jill Dando, but she was shot to death on her doorstep last year in London in an unsolved murder. I simply cringe when that giggling ninny Hunter something-or-other condescends to let us in on her little elbow-rubbing with natives of the Caribbean, etc. Wouldn't it be great if there was a female equivalent of that little English guy who is always stripping down to head for the surf?!?!

Search this Thread