Travel to the Loire Valley from Paris

Mar 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

Travel to the Loire Valley from Paris

Hi, I am planning to leave from Paris on the train and to spend 4 days in the Loire Valley then back to Paris. My friend and I like to stay at a B&B and then use the bike to tour the country side. We prefer to stay close enough to Chateau Chenonceaux and D'Amboise. Please give us some tips about the train trip and the B&B. Thank you so much
Mar 14th, 2010, 08:30 AM

Can't help you with the train and bike questions. When we went to the Loire Valley we rented a car. Renting a car at Orly is fairly easy getting in and out of the airport and heading south.

We stayed at Manoir de la Maison Blanche b&b in Amboise. It was wonderful - the b&b had a park-like setting. This b&b was easy to find from the highway that circles Amboise.
Do not miss Château de Chambord.
Maybe someone else can help you with your questions.
Mar 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM

You can rent bikes from almost any tourist office in the Loire, so pick your base and then contact the tourist office for bikes. For me, Amboise makes the perfect base. You take a train from Paris to Tours (preferably a PREM fare on the TGV - go to www.voyages-sncf.com and book and print tickets online), then I would guess a bus to Amboise (not sure how that works, but you can google it). You might also select a B&B and ask them about bikes. I've not stayed at a B&B in the Loire, so don't have any specific suggestions about that.
Mar 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM

The TGV leaves regularly to Tours or St. Pierre Des Corps then you will have to catch a train to Amboise. You might be better to drive from Paris, it is around 2 hours and a straight road once you're on the A10 it is getting out of Paris that isn't always easy. A number of chateaus already have bikes that are either for rent or free to use. Check out myweekin.net for some of these chateaus and things to do in the Loire VAlley
Mar 14th, 2010, 06:22 PM

Hi Isabelle,
My daughter and I will be going to the Loire after Paris in May. We will be staying in Amboise and I have already purchased the tickets on line. I did not buy the TGV tickets but purchased instead the CORAIL Intercites which takes two hrs. from Paris Gare Austerlitz but goes straight to Amboise. The two round trip tickets were 48 euros. The seats are not reserved but they assure me there will be plenty of seating on these trains. I hope this helps you in deciding. Happy Travels, Gladys
Mar 14th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gladfon,
You are awesome.Would you please share the website for the Corail train tickets. From the comments in the forum, we will stay in Amboise which seems to give close access to Chenonceaux and Chambord. We will ride the bike to tour the chateaux. Where are you going to stay? Do you mind to share it too? Thank you so much for your assistance.