Reload this Page >

Travel to Italy in Nov/Dec

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Girish B

Hi Folks <BR>Me and My wife are planning to travel to Italy with our 9month old daughter. We would like to visit Rome,Florence and Venice. Would like to know the following <BR>1. is it easy/inexpensive to travel by train between cities and travel by subway/taxi in the city? <BR>2. Any hotel recommndations?. Mid-price range <BR>3. Any other suggestions/things we should know from those of you who have travelled with infants before?. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>Cheers <BR> <BR>Girish <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Cass

warmer weather than we have on the east coast but tons of rain. I found it quite comfortable to walk around with a light jacket last Thanksgiving (nov2600) in Milan. You can taxie all over the city for a reasonable amount this is what I would do with a small child. Heck I would do this with my lonesome in the rain. But it should even be warmer in Rome and Florence. <BR> <BR>I found train travel all over Italy especially pleasant during the holidays (on my college tour some 15 years ago), a lot of families dressed to the nines with packages in tow and cookies to share. Kind of felt like I was in a Nomany Rockwellio painting. Silly humor but it was great don't be nervous, good for you for taking the baby young. I wish my P's had done it.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:09 AM
run

Hi Girish (and little daughter), <BR>Venice-Florence-Rome costc with intercity about LIT. 90.000. For hotel there are many possibilities although you have to be fast. I had very good help from a girl in Florence. Her e-mail is [email protected]

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 11:15 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I can't help you re traveling with an infant, but yes it is easy to take trains in Italy. The time of year you are going is less crazed than other times, but still with a baby you will want both train tickets and seat reservations so that there's chance of ending up standing. <BR>Florence to Venice is about 3 hours, <BR>Venice to Rome is almost 5 hours. <BR>You might want to look at the <BR>fs-on-line website to figure out the fares and scheduling--there may be family discounts, I don't know. <BR>Florence has no subway system and doesn't need one,the center of it is very small. Taxis can be called. <BR>Venice has (water) taxis and (water) buses, and also requires a lot of walking across bridges with steps, that might be a bit difficult with a stroller. Rome has a subway system, and buses. <BR>I have files on all three places; if you would like to see them, email me. <BR>good luck <BR>

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Girish B

Thank you all for your help. <BR> <BR>Elaine: I will email you for the files that you mentioned. <BR> <BR>Girish <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 06:46 PM
vipsha

Girish: <BR> <BR>My husband and I have travelled to Europe several times, try this travel agent: <BR>http://www.egiinc.com/ <BR>Try emailing Ken Ball, he's very helpful. <BR>Since you'll be travelling with a kid, try to stay close to the Duomo/Pont Vecchio while in Florence. Even if you don't, cabs are inexpensive. You can rent a car if you're planning day trips outside of Florence. <BR>You won't find traditional cabs in Venice, you'll end up taking the vaporetto. The speedboat cabs (motoscafis) are pretty expensive ($150 from the airport). Try staying close to Saint Mark's. (Though you can easily cover Venice in 25 minutes by foot, the walkways are not level. You will have to climb stairs, etc frequently to go from one street to another, or to cross canals. This might be difficult to do with a stroller, for example.) We were in Venice last November, and the weather was pleasant. Although it was supposed to rain, it did not until the last day of our stay. <BR>Email me if you need more info. <BR>