Travel to Copenhagen and possibly Sweden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to Copenhagen and Oslo this summer ('05). We will be in Copenhagen for approx. 4/5 days and would like to take a train for a 1 or 2 day trip into Sweden since it was so close. One suggestion was Malmo, but from other postings, it seems this city may not be the prime choice. Any suggestions on which cities to visit? Thanks!!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Stockholm is way more beautiful and interesting than Oslo! I can't believe your ditching my favorite city in Europe for Oslo !
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I am going to Copenhagen next week, and also toyed with the idea of taking a short trip into Sweden. I heard that Lund was a good city to see- not too far from Malmo, but apparently with a lot more character and charm. It might be worth looking into! However, if you have more time, I would *definitely* advocate Stockholm over anywhere else in Sweden. I absolutely love Stockholm- don't know if it's an option for you, though...
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Cassandra

Took the high-speed train from Copenhagen to Stockholm -- a whiz, literally, of a trip, but if you get a bit woozy in motion, be aware it sways around some of those curves pretty fast. I think it was only a 4 or so hr. trip, and Stockholm was lovely. We only had 2 nights and one full day, but it was worth it, definitely. Consider that.

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Traveler101: Oslo is great and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But, it can't begin to compare to Stockholm, a very desireable city.
Sounds like you could see all three briefly; four days in Copenhagen, three days in Stockholm, and what ever time you had for Oslo. That would be a very nice trip by train.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. The reason for Oslo is that my husband's brother and his family live there and we are going to visit them for the first time; however, you all make Stockholm sound so interesting that I think we will see if we can add it to our trip.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 11:40 AM
KT

The high-speed train from Copenhagen to Stockholm is a bit over 5 hours. Schedules at www.resplus.se -- that's the Swedish site; I don't have the Danish site bookmarked.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:11 PM

We visited Oslo too because of family there and that is just a great opportunity. There are low fare airlines to get you quickly to Stockholm. One we flew on was Braathens. When in Copenhagen, try to get to Fredericksbourg Slot.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:34 AM

Im off to Copenhagen and on to Lund on Wednesday actually. Ive been to Malmo twice before and its not bad- I cant really remember if it was anything that special- the main attraction was that it was Sweden . Riding over the Oresund bridge though is a real treat and absolutely gorgeous. Well see how Lund is, but it sounds like a very university town.

Ive been to Oslo as well, only I went via the overnight ferry from Copenhagen, which was fun and different. Pulling into the harbor in both cities was gorgeous, even in November- in the summer Im sure you would be able to see more of the coast/water than the winter. Only stayed a day or so and went back down to Copenhagen, but I remember it being very expensive. You could always make a big circle out of it- ferry to Oslo then over to Stockholm on the cheap plane and then back down to Copenhagen on the train (if mixing and matching transport options is fun for you!). I love Scandinavia, but my god is it expensive!

What about Goteborg in Sweden? West coast up the road a ways from Malmo if im not mistaken- second largest city.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Dont' forget going to Uppsala, just north of Stockholm (about 40 min on the train). It's an old university city and is also famous for it's cathedral and Viking mounds outside the city center! Enjoy!