Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Travel Tips wanted for trip to Brussels in December with 3 year old and 5 1/2 year old

Search

Travel Tips wanted for trip to Brussels in December with 3 year old and 5 1/2 year old

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're considering a family trip to Brussels in December. My mother-in-law is from there and we'd like to go while she's still in good health. December is the time when the extended family can get together and it seems like a festive time. We'd love to delay to Spring but aren't sure if we should due to health considerations.

We'll likely stay in a hotel in the city, probably Sheraton with points, I think one of them has an indoor pool.

We'd like to do some sightseeing, however with young children we know that will be limited - and that's ok - we know there's a lot to learn just from the experience of traveling in another place.

So, the questions I can come up with now are:
Are there any childrens museums or indoor playgrounds in Brussels since we'll be there in December? I'm concerned with the weather and being able to let the kids just be kids if we're always in a church or museum or restaurant.

There are two Sheratons in Brussels, would it be worth it to get the indoor pool (more points) as a place the kids can get some excercise and just be kids for a little while in the afternoon?

If we go over for 10 days, I'd like to spend a few days at the beginning or end of the trip with just my husband and the kids maybe in another location that would be easy to get to/from Brussels (I'm thinking 1-2 hours by train). Any particularly kid-friendly destinations that you can think of?

On to the details: what do I do about laundry? There's bound to be a lot of it and I was wondering whether to try to pack light (to make getting around easier) and try to do laundry often or wash in the hotel room or just pack more and plan to wash once or have stuff laundered? Do they have places you can drop off your laundry and have it washed by the pound (or kg)?

We'll be traveling with 4 other adults (grandparents, aunt, and uncle). How will we get around? 2 Taxis, public transportation, etc? We'll need to get outside of Brussels to visit family, I think you can take a bus, otherwise all of us will not fit in the great-uncle's car. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 12:24 PM

We went in winter when our son was 5. He liked the Atomium.
We also took a day trip to Bruges and although I wouldn't class it as particularly child friendly we enjoyed walking around and taking a horse drawn carriage ride. It snowed lightly while we were there and it was very pretty.

I'd definitely choose the hotel with the pool if you think you'll use it.

Maybe your relatives can help with the travel details. Ask them which is the nearest train station or if there's a convenient bus route.

Laundry sounds like a problem! I'd suggest asking your hotel to direct you to the nearest laundromat and aim to wash once. Can your relatives help with this also? I'm sure they'd understand your need to do laundry when you have two young children!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 02:09 PM

There are certainly things to amuse the kids in Brussels - there's a kitschy Mini Europe - with mini models of European buildings - near the Atomium which kids love. There's also a car musuem and a military museum which boys young and old seem to like. Some of the museums have special kid friendly parts to exhibitions. Children also like the musical instrument museum and the "comic strip" museum. There is also a great dinosaur exhibition in the Natural History museum together with a Dino cafe.

Bruges is a nice idea for a day trip.

In December the Christmas market is on in Brussels which has some nice attractions for kids including ice skating and a big ferris wheel and a carousel.

There are some of those indoor playgrounds with things filled with balls - but I don't know them personally - my baby is 5 months - so I'm sure in time they will be very familiar to me.

There are lots of Laundromats - but they don't really do the wash/dry/fold service washes here - you have to do it yourself.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Rent a villa or an apartment!!! We travel all the time with our little ones and it makes a huge difference! More space for them to play with their toys (bought from a nearby store; it's fun!); laundry facilities right there; a kitchen so you don't need to eat out for every meal, etc. When traveling with kids, you need to allow for some downtime so they can just be kids. This is much easier to do in an apartment or villa.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Any suggestions for websites to look at for apartments? I had looked at vrbo.com since I've had good luck with using them in the US but didn't come up with much.

The hotel appealed to us because of the points we have. Maybe we could look at a hotel for 4-5 nights in Brussels and a apartment or hotel in another spot - sugestions for a good place to do this within 1-2 hours by train from Brussels somewhere that we won't need a car. I'm thinking it would be nice to be in a smaller town for a few days to help with the downtime.

Thanks for all of the help! This is such a helpful board!
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 07:14 AM

Try introducting the older child to Tin tin. If he likes the books/stories, he would probably like to see the museum in Brussels
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...russels.tintin

Ghent is another good day trip possibility
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 09:51 AM

Keri,

I am not fimilar with Brussels, but have been researching because I thought we might be going there in December.

What about doing a trip for a few days to Bruges? There are a few starwoood resorts if you aer trying to do points.

It fits your desire for an 1.5- 2 hour max train ride.

Or you could always go to Paris? It does not fit the "small" town but there are many lovely apartments in Paris.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

I thank you all for your help. It seems that we may not go in December but perhaps in the Spring (which would be much nicer weather I'd think).

Thanks very much!
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 12:25 AM

Get a hotel with a pool , trust me on this, the highlight of your kids trip will be the visits to the pool. LOL
Pack light, even with laundry , packing light will reduce stress.

Tintin bored me as a young girl, but my father ( who is in his 70's) loved him, maybe its a " boy " thing.

Amsterdam to do the canals, the windmills and the wooden shoes and tulips,,