Travel this week

Jun 16th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Travel this week

Greetings,

I have found your site to be invaluable in planning my trip to Switzerland starting this coming monday (june 18). I have so many ideas of what to do while we're there, but haven't booked anything except our hotel. I got some advice about visiting the Switzerland tourist office upon arrival at the airport and making all our arrangements there. Does this sound like good advice? I am unsure if the prices I am seeing for things would be cheaper if I purchase ahead of time or if they will be the same at the tourist office. Some things we are hoping to do:

Interlaken (june 19-22) -- staying at Hotel Bellevue
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
boat ride on Brienz, visit falls and Grand Hotel Giessbach
Junfraujoch
canyoning
hot air balloon riderent bicycles

Zurich (june 22-29) staying at Four Points by Sheraton
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
day trip to Lucerne (Sunday) -- would hot air balloon be better here?
rent motorcycle (where to go???)
rent bicycles
Rapperswil
rent kayaks (???)

Any suggestions would be EXTREMELY helpful.

Jun 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM

my advice - re-post w/ a better title.

"Travel this week" could be saying or asking anything about anywhere in Europe. Maybe something like "Suggestions for Interlaken and Zurich this week?"
Jun 18th, 2007, 07:04 PM

We were in Interlaken last month and loved it. It is a great small town that I believe is a good location while staying in Bernese Oberland. We stayed in a B&B that provided great information for us. The trains are exremely reliable and easy to use. From Interlaken it was about 30 minutes to Lauterbrunnen. My advise is to look into going to Schilthorn instead of Jungfrauoch. It is about half the price but the views are amazing.
Jun 20th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Schilthorn is a good suggestion. I also really enjoyed traveling up Titlis. I've been up Jungfraujoch twice and it is nice, but I believe it is somewhat overrated. It's a mechanical marvel the train travels that far through the mountain, and the views are spectacular on a good day (though on my last time up, we experienced white-out conditions), but Switzerland isn't hurting for spectacular views. The area is a must see, just not necessarily paying to go all the way to the top, imo.

By visiting the Swiss railways website at sbb.ch, you can price out your train travel and get an idea if a railpass makes sense for you. Even if you plan on buying the pass in Switzerland, it'd be helpful if you had a good idea of whether you wanted one ahead of time. I've always found the people at the tourist offices to be very helpful.
Jun 20th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Silly me. I just noticed you are already on your trip. I'm sure you'll have a marevelous time regardless what you end up seeing!
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM

I'd like to read some reports from these folks on these trips just to see if these people did some of the things some of us suggested.

That daytrip to Lucern would be a long day trip for me, but some people enjoy these dawn to ddddusk train trips.

Anyway, I hope they and some others post reports.

Now playing:

Bachman Turner Overdrive: "Stonegates"

Blodwyn Pig: "Drive me"
Jun 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM

What gets me are the people who have something like 5 things planned for the day they arrive. There was a recent thread where the person flew into Zurich first thing in the a.m., was catching the train to Lucerne, then was going to do at least two things outside town. I'd have been happy just getting to Lucerne and maybe walking around a bit. Jet lag really hits me the first day and I like getting acclimated a bit before diving into big-time sightseeing.