Travel stuff for kids

Search

Travel stuff for kids

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel stuff for kids

My first international trip from the US to the UK with our daughters.
What are favorites among your kids this age (girls) as things to do on the plane to keep busy? I have the regular Gameboy, CD player stuff... found a card trick book for my 8 year old to practice and amaze our friends and family once we get there But looking for unique stuff/ideas.
Thanks!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:11 PM

Call ahead to your airline - there is a big difference among them in which electronic devices they allow to be used in flight. Some airlines are very lenient, others, like Alitalia, allow nothing.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:52 PM

My son can spend hours coloring, drawing and sketching. He also reads and writes in a travel journal. Watching the in flight movie will pass many hours.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What airline are you flying? There's a good chance you all will have individual video screens in which case your kids will have lots of viewing options. If you're taking BA or Virgin, the kids will get a backpack with lots of stuff and doodads. I'm guessing other airlines offer the same.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

We are flying British airways non stop both ways from the US... 9.5 hours...
Thanks for the replies!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM

9.5 hours is a quickie! You should try living in Australia and flying to Europe!! I find the good old Gameboy is good for at least half the flight, particularly if you buy a spare game or two for variety. Don't rely on airline giveaways any more, as even on long flights there is a good chance all you will get is a stuffed toy, which is highly non amusing for the over 3s. ie, pack your own paper, coloured pencils etc. Also, don't forget to order a kids meal, as they arrive earlier than the adult meals and usually have something fun on them.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 10:58 PM

Our British airlines flight had the individual video screens which were wonderful. There were quite a few choices of movies to watch some of which were definitely child-oriented. There was also a little map to watch where you could see where the plane was. Between books, the amusements you mentioned, food and naps you will survive!

My children also liked "surprises". Every hour or two I'd try to pull out some new little toy or snack.

Also, I forgot to mention travel games. We found one that had checkers, chess, and several other games all quite compact. They played with this on the trip as well.

Lastly, the plane is not a bad place to get them interested in the sites they will be seeing while they are a "captive" audience. You could pull out a map of the underground and have them help plot travel to various sites or have them vote on what they'd like to see first, etc.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful time!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:13 AM

you mention the age of one daughter, but not the others'. need more info to help you out!
Have your girls pack their own backpack and make sure it's not too heavy that they aren't able to carry it. Little beads (they will spill!) and other crafty things would be great. A travel journal?

no matter the age, bring food!! BA food isn't horid, but it's not that great either!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:37 AM

I gave my kids a journal on the plane and included pens, markers etc and a map of where we were traveling and lots a relevant info. They wrote their on travel diary and collected info on the way to make a great keepsake that they both still look at. We stuck in photos when we got home. They spent some time on the plane writing up the itinery etc and decorating it.
Have a great time!
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:35 AM

The first time I took a long trip with my kids, Houston to Singapore, they were not quite two, three and seven. I bought them some small gifts, such as small toys or books and wrapped them. Throughout the flight, I'd hand one out to each one of them. It worked well, I don't remember that flight being difficult as far as the kids are concerned.

Oh, and make sure you ask the stewardess for a set of 'wings' for each child.