Search

Travel Scams!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 11:32 AM
Maira

Travel Scams!!!

Today, the United States' federal government and 21 states have announced charges against 25 companies alleged to mislead customers about vacation packages or travel services. Apparently the thing is serious enough that the Feds and many states felt they need to step in! <BR> <BR>Is there anybody out there with a legitimate warning about a current package/travel offer to Europe? (Please, refrain of the "Dr. Abbate" type of exchange). Let's try to get the (legitimate) word out on these con artists!

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 05:28 PM
kittie

Maira, <BR>I didn't read the paper today. Do you know of anywhere I can get a list of those comapnies? <BR>Kittie

Old Aug 3rd, 1999, 07:25 PM
Boots

They were just listed on CNN News. Perhaps you could get the list from their web site. <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 03:23 AM
Maira

Boots, thanks for the tip. <BR> <BR>Kittie, federal charges are against (copied from the CNN site Boots mentioned): <BR> <BR>- American International Travel Services Inc., also doing business as Magic World Tour & Travel and as Silver Lake Resort <BR> <BR>- First Impressions Inc., also doing business as Air-Land-Sea Reservations, Air-Land-Sea Travel, Vacations Are Us and Vacation World <BR> <BR>- All Around Travel Club Inc.; ASQ Inc., also doing business as Resort World. <BR> <BR>- Cervenik-Anderson Travel Inc., also doing business as Student Tours, College Tours and Mexico Tours.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 04:53 AM
dan woodlief

I don't know of any currently, but I did lose half the money I should have received from a trip I won over the radio due to the idiots (and yes, they were idiots) at the sponsoring travel agency (a branch of Travel Agents International - they are all individually owned franchises) who soon after declared bankruptcy. The radio station was not good about the whole thing either. We went anyway, since we had been planning for 8 months already. Haven't listened to the radio station in the two years since.