Travel Pouch needed in Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Barcelona the week after Xmas for the first time, and after reading about how rampant pickpocketing is there, I'm wondering if I should get one of those little travel pouches to carry around my neck? I've always thought they screamed "American tourist", but are they really neccessary? They seem rather bulky.
Otherwise, where's the best place to carry your wallet, money, passport, etc? Do they snatch purses or backpacks? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:08 AM
ira

Hi amy,

We keep our valuables in a travel wallet under our clothes in all large cities.

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:09 AM

We were in a hotel on The Ramblas and walked the Ramblas several times a day and night.. it' was mobbed with people and I would leave the passport in the hotel safe, plus of course take several copies of it and if you are taking a credit card copy that and have an emergency #.. You will need your passport if you go to a bank to exchange $$.. Yes, when traveling we carry one of those travel pouches, but you can buy one that slips into your pants/skirt (tie it to a belt or pin it)... It's probably the same thing...just look for a lightweight one. Being there in October the only place we saw mobs of people was at the Gaudi...I carry one of those beach plastic things which I pin into my handbag...never a wallet..
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 06:22 AM

We use a 'leg-safe', which goes on the calf, under pants/jeans. Easy to access but hidden away. I've worn a moneybelt underneath clothes for years before that. Obviously, you -never- access these pouches in the public eye.

You can put some cash and 1 credit card, wrapped with big rubberband, in your -front- pocket. The rubberband should add friction to make it difficult to slide out. You could 'safety-pin' your pocket closed if you want.

Another trick I use is to safety-pin the cord of my little wallet to the inside of my daybag, so if someone manages to lift it out I will feel a tug.

Adding velcro closures is handy because you should hear the noise if your bag is opened.

Based on what I've read, I would avoid using a backpack of any kind, and any daybag should 'cross over' your chest not just hang off the shoulder.

Never lay your things on a table or hang a bag off your chair, or even at your feet. Avoid being in the middle of a crowd, which has probably gathered to watch some 'entertainment', which in turn was probably enacted by the group that is picking the pockets of the spectators.

These are all tips I have garnered from reading some internet journals. They are all good tips for anywhere you travel, not just for Barcelona.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Barcelona is the only place I have ever been pickpocketed but you are incoorect IMO by saying that pickpocketing is "rampant" as if it happens absolutely everywhere in the city because it doesn't appear to.

Yes, in crowded situations, particularly on the Metro and other places.

Whatever you wear, neck pouch, etc., should be out of sight so I don't quite understand your phobia about looking like an "American tourist" as if nobody else in the world uses this sort of thing.

Wear one, wear it under your clothing, and move on from the "image" issue you have.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:05 AM

i've posted on this subject way too much lately - going next week. bought a rick steves money wallet to wear under clothes - its a thin, breathable silk. wear a purse over your person - maybe with a jacket over it so no one can cut the strap off. not being paranoid - just cautious.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah - I'm w/ intrepid on this. If you are wearing it correctly, no one can see the neck pouch or money belt. So how would this signal that you are a any particular nationality. And believe me - everyone will know you are a tourist.

Don't put eveything in the pouch/money belt. Keep what you plan on using that day in your pocket or handbag just like anywhere. Put excess cash, extra credit card, ATM card if you don't plan on using it that day, passport, etc in the pouch and <b>DON'T</b> access it in public. I have seen lots of people actually haul out their moneybelt to get at something -- sorta defeats the purpose !
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 10:37 AM

The &quot;purse strap across the body&quot; idea is THE BEST for women! Several times while in Barcelona, young kids would sidle up beside the &quot;more mature&quot; women in our group and yank on their handbags vigourously. If the handbag was across the body, they did not get it and ran away. Several locals cautioned the women in our group to hold on to their bags tightly (alas, good advice is often ignored). When I use a backpack/daypack, I carry it in front of me when in crowded situations, and even then, there is no money, cards or passport in it. The safety pin on the pocket idea works really well and is inobtrusive.Besides, you WILL look like some sort of tourist because your eyes will be lit up in wonder, a mist of history before them.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 10:44 AM

In July my friend's mother was pushed down, her purse stolen at 10 am on Sunday downtown. Granted, she and her friend are in their 70s, easy targets but on the other hand, there are some brazen thieves there.

I'd buy the silk Rick Steves bag earlier poster mentioned, for peace of mind.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
If looks matters to you, Longchamp makes a nice letter zipper bag on a belt. You can also remove the bag and use it as a clutch bag. I bought leather shoe laces and tied them to the loops so that I also can use it as a shoulder bag bandolier style under my coat.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 11:56 AM

Out of curiousity, are most of the thieves Gypsies or some other ethnic group?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Am I the only woman in the world who keeps one credit card and a few notes down her bra?? Loose change in my pocket. Everything else in the hotel. My kids die of mortification when I offer to buy a round of drinks and beg me not to.... Don't know what to suggest for guys tho...maybe a little cross-dressing?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 12:24 PM

This is all making me nervous. We are going to Barcelona April 1. As for leaving the passport in the hotel safe...my husband insists he read that even these are not safe from theft. What to do. I think our room at the Hotel Neri will have a safe...

Please don't laugh, but we are going to take some self defense classes. (Israeli Kav Magra.) We are in our 70's and want to feel we can protect ourselves.

Old Dec 15th, 2005, 01:43 PM

Self-defense classes are good even if only because they make you feel more confident, therefore you take a confident 'stance'. They also teach you to be more aware of your surroundings. I will never forget being instructed that women should forget about being 'nice' or worrying if they will offend someone if an uncomfortable/questionable situation develops. For instance, if you are in an elevator alone and a male steps in, don't feel bad if you must suddenly 'remember' something and get off and take another one.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 01:47 PM

good for you, Lois! I took one many years ago and loved it. Walking like you know where you are going is the number one thing to do.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Yes I do think that I will feel more confident with a class. We also go to fitness classes 3 times a week to work on that....! My husband turned 78 this week!!!
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:49 PM

We spent 2 weeks in Barca a few years ago and the only thing we lost was a camera I left in a bar (Duh!) In any big crowded city with lots of tourists you need to be careful. There's no single right answer to how you should carry cash and valuables. The safe in your hotel room will usually be best for whatever you don't need to carry around. Leave some cash somewhere that no hotel staff should ever look - wrapped up in a sock in your dirty washing pile, under the TV, there are plenty of options. If you have several credit or debit cards, leave some at home, leave at least one hidden somewhere ridiculous in your hotel room. Carry one or at most two cards with you. Don't carry more cash than you are likely to need, and split it between two or three places about your person. Some people say your cash and cards are more secure if they are carried close to parts of the anatomy that are less likely to be touched in innocent or accidental contact - OTOH there's no dignified way to fetch the credit card out of your underwear when you get to the front of the queue. Take copies of passport, tickets, cards, insurance and other essential documents, leave a copy with a trusted person back home (and take their phone number with you!). Take at least one copy of everything with you and never let them be in the same place as the origianls (if your passort is in the hotel, take a copy with you). Among the &quot;essential documents&quot; should be emergency phone numbers for credit cards etc in case you need to report them as lost or stolen.
If this seems complicated, remember three simple rules. 1 - Most criminals look for easy pickings, make yourself a difficult target and they'll try someone else. 2 - Take steps to make sure that if the worst happens and you are cleaned out of everything you were carrying on a particular day, you can still carry on and enjoy the rest of your holiday. 3 - Holidays are there to be enjoyed. Don't get so hung up about theft that you arrive home more stressed out that you left.
Self defence classes? Well, yes, but .... only if you are certain of your ability to differentiate between the thief who will run away at the first sign of resistance, and the one in a million who will knife you in the ribs without a second thought.
Curt, where are you coming from? There are thieving ****s in every ethnic group that ever lived. The really expert ones can empty your pockets and you don't even see them, so the victim has no idea what ethnic group, colour, gender or shoe size the thief was. What's the benefit in inviting people to exchange prejudices about racial stereotypes?
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Happy Birthday to you...Lois give him this in B flat.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Craigellachie: To answer your question to Curt its simple. He's trolling. Ignore it. JM2C.
Old Dec 15th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Most of the thieves I met were druids.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -