Reload this Page >

Travel Insurance This Time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:57 AM
Nancy

Is anyone buying travel insurance this year that wouldn't noramally buy it? <BR> <BR>With the threatened airline strikes (Northwest is who we are flying with) and the foot & mouth disease not seeming to slow down, would now be a good time to bite the bullet & get the insurance?

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:01 AM
xxx

Don't know. It could be that hoof-and-mouth counts as an 'Act of God' and wouldn't be covered? <BR> <BR>I'm also not sure about airline strike coverage, but maybe someone else knows.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 03:43 AM
AC

Hi Nancy: <BR>I NEVER leave home without travel insurance. I am always concerned about the "what ifs". There were a few times that I have seen fellow travelers stuck without luggage, etc. where travel insurance would have covered it. <BR>I'm not sure about strikes. each company might have their own set of rules. I use CSA www.travelsecure.com <BR>Check them out. There is a number you can call with specific questions <BR>800-873-9855. Hope this helps!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 09:28 AM
Shanna

When I travel alone, I never insure because the only thing that will interfere with my departure would be my death. And in that case, it just wouldn't matter. Almost all other needs, lost luggage, etc., aren't helped by insurance except long after the filing of a claim. If you're in Tokyo and your luggage is in Brazil, insurance means very little. However, when I travel with others, knowing that they have different priorities, I insure so if they botch up my vacation, I don't lose all that money. That said, I've purchased cancellation insurance for my upcoming Paris trip because the companion is taking a new job and that employer may not be agreeable; it's flooding in Paris right now and that might affect my plans; my companion is my, um, "boyfriend" and we know how that can go; lots of potential airline strikes. It seemed like a good idea.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 09:53 AM
Nancy

Thanks for all the info guys! I am leaning toward the travel insurance. I have looked into Travel Guard but now will take a look at CSA & compare. I sure would hate for us to put all the time & $ into this trip just to have it go down the drain because of a strike. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the feedback!!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 10:07 AM
Paula

I understand that because we have been "warned" that these airline strikes may occur that they would not be covered by insurance.

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 12:09 PM
Donna

I ALWAYS get travel insurance-usually thru travel guard or travelex-strikes are covered--you need to ask the 800 number of each insurance company you're trying to decide on about these questions---they are the ABSOLUTE authority with the answers.