Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far in advance should I order airline tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 01:41 PM
Polina

I am planning a trip to Europe in June of 1998, flying into Amsterdam. When is a good time to buy airline tickets for the best possible price? I was thinking around January or February. Any suggestions? Also, I am curious about people's experiences with consolidators. Thanks in advance.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 04:18 PM
a lukosky

Don't buy in advance unless you know the price will go up based on season. If close to Miami, try 1-800-CityBird to Brussels, Belgium, then jump on the non-stop train to Amsterdam! Consolidators normally save you a bundle as they buy up x number of airline seats. We have found that waiting, depending on season, saves money.
Hope this helps!

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 04:39 PM
a lukosky

Don't buy in advance unless you know the price will go up based on season. If close to Miami, try 1-800-CityBird to Brussels, Belgium, then jump on the non-stop train to Amsterdam! Consolidators normally save you a bundle as they buy up x number of airline seats. We have found that waiting, depending on season, saves money.
Hope this helps!

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 06:22 PM
Tricia

Hi, Go down a little furthur in this forum and check out my question, HAS ANYONE FLOWN VIRGIN ATLANTIC AIRLINES. There are 7 or 8 answers and that is the airline I am picking next time. Now this airline is also known as City Bird in USA . I think it is known by V.A. isn Europe; not sure how it works yet. They also have the cheapest flights in Europe. I use www.discountair.com to keep my self abreast of costs and trends. You can even join for free and post your iteniary and they will E mail you when fares change.The current cost from Calif to Amsterdam is $398 on Virgin and from East Coast to
Amsterdam it will be $298 after 11/1. I paid $730 last August from Calif to Amsterdam on TWA-that will give you an idea. I found by $730 flight thru the internet and saved $500. I called TWA the same day and was quoted over $1200!! Amazing!!
I printed out someinfo about Airfare Season that I find extremely helpful. Low Seas is now until 3/31. shoulder season is 4/1- 5/31 and high season is 6/1 to 9/14. Ticket consolidators at 1/800 468 3796. I found them in a website called, Hot Fares. I have that address tucked away --E mail me if you would like it.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 06:29 PM
L. Montgomery

I would not wait, I purchased my tickets to Paris for next may 3 months ago. If the fare goes down or if there is a fare sale, you gan get a rebate minus a service charge for changing. The longer you wait, the more seats will be sold and prices will go up.

Consolidator tickets are not something I would buy although many people do. I tried it once several years ago and had a huge problem when the flight was cancelled.

If you do use consolidator, be VERY sure to use a reputable one with good reputation.

Old Oct 24th, 1997, 06:35 PM
L. Montgomery

I would not wait to buy my tickets, I purchased my tickets for Paris in May 3 months age. If you buy and there is a sale, you can get a rebate, minus a service charge, and have the lower fare.

Airlines have a certain number of seats in each price catagory, the cheapest ones go first, then they move higher (prices) as more seats are sold.

As for consolidators, I don't care for them. I used one several years ago and had a huge problem when flight was cancelled.

If you do use a consolidator, make VERY sure it is a reputable Company with a proven track record.