Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London in February- how wintry? Also- Aster House?

Oct 15th, 1997, 10:32 AM
Karen

We are considering a long weekend when the airfares are very low. How cold is the usual February weather? Is it snowy? We figure since we'd be spending time inside museums, cathedrals, etc., that a winter trip would be a good idea. Any recommendations? - I've read the posting on late October in London - all those lodging names sound familiar (from our research) - We're quite interested in Aster House (3 Sumner Pl.) - anyone have experience there? THANKS.

Oct 15th, 1997, 11:24 AM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Karen: I've not been there in February--but I HAVE been there in January and I'm pretty sure there's not much difference (my sister lives there and she keeps me current on any notable weather). So I can tell you it will be wet three days out of five and CHILLY but not terribly cold even by my Deep South standards--say in the 30's Fahrenheit. Take a few turtle-neck T-shirts and wear them as layers; a rain coat with a warm lining (mine is down and zips out if necessary); comfortable rubber-soled shoes for tramping around; an umbrella;one dressy outfit; warm night clothes, slippers, and robe (more modest hotels expect you to heat your room by feeding coins (used to be shillings, probably 20 p. now) into a radiator.) The "low season" is a really good time to go, though, just because it IS cheap and less pleasant weatherwise. My only hang-up with your plans is going over for a WEEK-END! Those flights are really PUNISHING--but you'll never know if you don't try it. As to the Aster House I know nothing. Sorry --but hope you go and have a wonderful time. Joan

Oct 20th, 1997, 07:15 PM
pam gates

Hi don't know about london weather in Feb first hand, yet. will be goin over on 2/24 for a 5 day stay. will keep an eye on your board to watch for others' input! are you thinking of taking the Virgin Atlantic excursion? let's share research and maybe make the trips even better. nice to "meet" you.

Oct 21st, 1997, 01:38 AM
sabrina

Re: Aster House - please see Kathleen Nolan's message within the topic entitled "London in late October". She seems to have some info! Sabrina

Oct 26th, 1997, 12:18 PM
Mike Miller

Just returned from staying in the Vicarage Hotel in Kensington - an excellent value at 60 pounds per nite with a full English Breakfast, easy tube access and a super friendly staff. Only problem is you need to book 3 months in advance and ask for a lower floor!

Oct 26th, 1997, 01:25 PM
Marcy Levinson

We were in London for Presidents Week last Feb. and it was chilly, rainy but not freezing or snowy. We wore long interlined rain coats, turtle necks, and cotton sweaters with black jeans or slacks and black sneakers with warm woolen socks, gloves, and hoods and walked for hours outdoors every day. We found that we could wear those outfits everywhere- even theater and most restaurants....no need for dressier clothing. We did need two umbrellas at times and travelled with a day pack that could hold them and our sweaters which we removed on warmer days. Hotel room was too hot so we did not need warm night clothes. Buy a travel pass and go everywhere by bus and tube, including Greenwich on a Sunday for the outdoor markets. We also loved Bath and took the railroad there for the day- a bit colder there. Enjoy