Travel in Scotland

Search

Travel in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2003, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel in Scotland

We are planning a trip to Scotland in June. We will arrive from Heathrow to Edinburgh and immediately taking a train to Inverness (taking a day trip out to Glencoe, Isle of Skye and another to Aberdeen) and back for three days in Edingburgh.
With travel restrictions being what they are, the four of us may have at least two large pieces of luggage each and one or two small carry-ons. How is the luggage handled on the train?
Do we lug the luggage down the aisles and try to find a rack to store them for the trip or is there a central storage location to be collected from at the end of the trip?
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 12:43 PM

there is a rack at the exit doors that you could store your luggage.
: )
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 01:50 PM

I am assuming this stay in Scotland is part of a VERY long trip elsewhere. The 4 of us spent 10 days in Scotland this May with only 1 carry-on each.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Not only will you have to put the luggage on the train yourselves - you will have to schlepp it through the station and down the platform. This can be a pretty long march and there are no porters. I am not sure what you mean you will have at least two large bags each because of "travel restrictions being what they are". That is an awful lot of luggage - it would seem "travel restrictions" would make you cut back, not take extra??
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Make very sure you can heft your luggage up the steps to the train and possibly up longer stairs in a station. The luggage area at the end of each car is small and fills up fast, so make sure you are ready to get on quickly, otherwise you may have to find another car.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

I should specify we are traveling for 14 days. I expected that traveling in Scotland and London in early to mid June would require some bulkier clothing (such as jackets and sweaters).

Noting the steps and limited space on the racks we might be able to get by with a suitcase large enough for the two of us.

NorthSideSue stated she spent ten days with one carry-on. I'm not sure how you can spend 10 days with one carry-on. Either you spend most of the time washing your clothes or you wear very little (and where are you storing your cosmetics?).
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:10 AM

Why not leave most of your luggage in Edinburgh, either at a hotel or at the left luggage office in Waverley station? If you're only spending a few days in the highlands, just take what you need.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 07:25 AM

newyorker: June is lovely in Scotland - no need for heavy winter clothing. A few light layers is warmer than a heavy sweater anyway. 14 days is not that long a trip - you can probably cut way back on the amount of luggage you are planning.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 07:35 AM

Travel light - go there under-packed. Then, if need be, purchase something for warmth and return home with a souvenir.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 12:40 PM

I was in Scotland this past June for three weeks. I had a large suitcase and a small suitcase. I brought way too much. I think you'd be fine with just one suitcase each. It is such a hassle lugging it onto the train and trying to find a space for it. One time there were no spaces left and it was quite awkward. And this was only for my small bag, as my large one was left at my fiance's home. I like the idea of leaving your luggage somewhere (the hotel maybe???) and bringing what you need up north.

This past June the weather was lovely. I even wore shorts once or twice, but I mostly wore capris and a light jacket. I understand it was a very unusual summer though, so I don't know what you are instore for for next summer. I hardly doubt you will need sweaters though. Just bring one good jacket/windbreaker, and a sweatshirt or two. Toiletries could go in a small carry on..such as a backpack.

Have a wonderful time