Reload this Page >

Travel in Great Britain

Search

Travel in Great Britain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 05:23 PM
Phyllis

Travel in Great Britain

We will be traveling in Wales by car. We will take the car ferry from Hollyhead to Dublin. After that we will ferry from Larne, Ireland to Scotland. Does anyone know a website where we can find info on ferry schedules and costs, or does anyone have other information concerning the ferries? We will be leaving the states on May 13 for 5 weeks in that area. In addition, what information do you have about taking the chunnel from London to Paris; hints, websites, fares, etc?

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 07:40 PM
Emily

Hi Phyllis, <BR>A good place to start for the ferry info is: www.seaview.co.uk/ferryview.html <BR>It's a more general site but it has links to some of the different lines, worth a look. You might try a text search for your chunnel questions, it has probably been discussed in the past. Enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 08:25 PM
charlie scruggs

Emily - irishferries.com is the ticket. I went thru them for advanced tickets. For two foot passengers the fare is 50 GBP on the Dublin Swift. They have a toll free stateside number. Don't recall the cost for a vehicle. Charlie

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 10:37 AM
Cathy

Phyllis, <BR>What are the dates you plan to be travelling through Northern Ireland, as June is the start of the marching season and there may be some restrictions. Post details of your plans and I will try and help, <BR>Regards <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 12:26 PM
corinne

Dear Phyllis, <BR>Irish Ferries from Hollyhead-Dublin or Pembroke-Rosslare -www.irishferries.ie or e-mail:[email protected] <BR>STENA Line; Hollyhed-Dublin, Fishguard-Rosslare and Belfast-Stranraer - the fast Seacat, I recommend this - but I can't find a website or e-address; my brochure is a couple of years old; try www.posl.com -that's good for channel crossings by this line. <BR> <BR>Don't be put off by horror stories of the marches;just avoid Drumcree in Co. Armagh or the Twelth of July and you'll be fine! Don't avoid Belfast for that reason - it's a great town, the ferryport is easy to drive to and the seacat crossing scenic, smooth and fast. <BR> <BR>What sort of things were you hoping to find in Wales and Ireland? My husband comes from South Wales and I go over to Ireland quite often for the music, the fishing and the craic, so get in touch if you want some pointers. <BR> <BR>I don't know as much about Scotland - but don't be in too much of a hurry to get away from Stranraer, it's in a gorgious area that most people just drive straight through and miss. There's a lot of England between there and the Chunnel and I live in the middle of it, so again, tell me what you're looking for and I'll tell you where you might find it (e.g. good food, English beer - or wine! - traditions, art, scenery?) <BR> <BR>Don't believe everything in this website's guide - I've yet to see anyone playing Backgammon in a pub; Dominoes is more likely! <BR> <BR>I can't find chunnel info to hand, but it's easy enough to do once you're over here - cheapest crossings at night; no real need to book even in high season, especially midweek - a couple of hours wait at most. <BR> <BR>Get in touch if you want more info; welcome to the UK!

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 01:32 PM
elvira

Re the Chunnel: the website is <BR>www.eurostar.com <BR>Check everything; there are sometimes special deals if you reserve and buy ahead; there are deals for traveling together; it's cheaper on the weekend. The prices change and the deals change almost as often as airfares. <BR>Be at the gate at least 20 mins before departure (otherwise, they can prevent you from boarding).