Reload this Page >

Travel in Germany after 9/11?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Bob

We have a trip planned in late November for Germany. We have been before, but just wanted to hear any comments about European travel after 9/11. Thanks.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Sjoerd

The only thing that has changed is some extra security at the airports. The sights, the weather, the food, the people: all the same before and after Sept 11.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 11:17 AM
D.J.

I havent been to Germany, but having just been to Ireland I can say its no problem.Turn off the t.v. news from now on and dont read the papers until you come home.They dont give you an accurate picture of whats going on in the real world.All they talk about is what has been happening in the lives of less than 1% of the worlds population.Have a nice trip.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Bob Brown

We were in Germany and Austria for 9 days after September 11. I could not tell any difference between September 19 and September 9 until we got to the airport where security was considerably tighter. I began to get the message when my carryon luggage was opened, I was frisked, and an armored car with a cannon followed our aircraft down the taxi way to the take off position. <BR>

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 01:30 PM
grasshopper

I was in Germany the last half of September. No problems. Sensitive people. Crummy weather.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 05:31 PM
Russ

It's hard to say. I'm sure there were plenty of people who had a nice visit in NYC on September 10, too. <BR> <BR>There was a recent arrest on October 17 at Frankfurt Airport of an Islamic fundamentalist by the name of Aydin who belongs to a group of 1300 in Germany with roots in Turkey and ties to Al Qaeda. He was in possession of some serious terrorist paraphernalia. The group is headed by a guy named Kaplan. The Germans are moving against them, but I doubt they'll all be gone by the end of November. From the NY Times on 10/23: <BR> <BR>"Mr. Kaplan's group of some 1,300 people, most of them Turkish, is known as the Federation of Islamic Associations and Communities. It is one of the religious-based groups that is likely to be banned as soon as a new German law goes into effect removing the constitutional protection for hate speech provided to faith-based organizations." <BR> <BR>We live in strange, unpredictable times. I'd stay away from large cities to maximize my security, if possible.

Old Oct 29th, 2001, 07:54 PM
victor

We arrived in Frankfurt on the 21st Sept. There was extra Security for us as our aircraft was going to NY after this. <BR>The rest of the places were pleasant and with less people probably due to the bombing. When we return home, we noticed security was more tied at Singapore airport than Frankfurt and they were even checking those leaving the airport.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Shanna

Bob, just back Friday from the Pfalz (SW). When leaving from Frankfurt, I was seriously queried about my belongings (who gave you that camera, when?), went through several carryon check points, had to show ID repeatedly. But I didn't see any real long lines or delays, altho' I got to the airport early enough to be second in line for check-in (3 hrs). I was "wanded" only once (but was actually patted down leaving Philly). There were armed military at the airport, as in the US. Once out in the countryside, I noticed nothing unusual except that people do lock everything up real tight at night; that's probably normal. Since I didn't stay in a big city - or even visit one - I don't know what sort of security they might have on the street. I recall Paris in 1986 after the many terrorist attacks in France that there were armed soldiers on the street. That may be the case in German cities now. However, five days in the countryside and I saw only one cop. On TV, the war was usually the first news item, anthrax the second, both brief, then into European events. While I didn't engage in banter with any locals - my German being schrecklich and their English truly non-existent - the three people who did converse in English made no mention of current events and I am so weary of it all that I wouldn't have dreamt of bringing it up. I will say, however, the weather was beautiful - cool, mostly sunny, lovely autumn in the Pfalz. But it's warmer than the rest of Germany. If you get a chance to try saumagen, let me know if it is any good. I passed on it after hearing a ~10 year old English lad make gagging noises when his dad asked if he wanted saumagen for dinner. Have a fun trip.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Miriam

Hello Bob, <BR> <BR>as a German living in Germany I don`t see any reason to stay away. Like others pointed out you`ll see enhanced security at the Airport, in front of embassies and when there are major events like a concert or sth. Other than that I`m sure that most Germans would be very welcoming to Americans at the moment, even more than before September 11th. <BR>To Shanna: <BR>Yes, we do lock up everything at night. That`s a German thing I guess. It`s in no way related to 9/11 and as well has nothing to do with a high criminal rate. <BR>Saumagen, well, do you really want to know what it is? It tastes great, but I don`t want to spoil your future experience in trying it unless you REALLY want to know... <BR> <BR>Kind regards <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Hans H

There's increased security at high-risk places (embassies, government institutions, US military installations, airports but also cultural institutions with direct links to the USA, Great Britain or Israel) and there are a lot of idiots with faked anthrax warnings. Whether you see anything of it, depends heavily upon the place, i.e. a lot in the government centre of Berlin, nothing in a small village. <BR> <BR>As for possible dangers, I guess that nobody can give any guarantees in this time but until now, nothing has happened in Germany and I haven't heard about any attacks upon Americans (about 100.000 live in Germany plus the military prsonnel), so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be pretty safe. <BR> <BR>By the way, the armed people at the airports aren't soldiers but members of the Grenzschutz (border guard). They are rather a federal police unit than a military unit.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Paige

I live in Munich and haven't noticed anything different around town since 9/11. Except that there were more police at Oktoberfest. There are always police milling around town, riding the trains, etc.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Sara

We just got back from Germany. Went for a week in mid-October, traveled throughout a significant portion of the country. No problems whatsoever, we felt totally safe.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:59 AM
bksexpat

Hi Bob, <BR> <BR>I'm an American and have lived and worked in Germany for almost 2 years. Believe me that I have not noticed any change except more security at the Frankfurt Airport and the Frankfurt Main Train Station. <BR> <BR>It was interesting (and somewhat disappointing) that my German colleagues displayed no emotional outward feelings regarding the 9/11 attacks. This is typical of German culture that emotions are a sign of weakness and should be dealt with in private. So don't be surprised if you get no reaction from a German if they find out your an American. Germans are rude, aggressive (especially driving), critical of another's downfall and must have complete Ordung (order) as humanly possible. <BR> <BR>Showing any patriotism or wearing a flag pin will not get you an automatic 'Welcome to Germany' greeting. <BR> <BR>Happy Travels! <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 07:52 AM
xxx

Having a hard time in Germany, bksexpat? "Germans are rude, aggressive (especially driving), critical of another's downfall and must have complete Ordung (order) as humanly possible." <BR>With your attitude and stereotyping, I am not surprised that none of your colleagues expressed sympathy on Sept 11. <BR>No, I am not German, but I know many nice and friendly Germans. You are not a good Ambassador of the USA.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 11:43 AM
Bob

The above post about rude Germans is incorrect. I posted the query, but I lived in Germany for 1.5 years and have made about 15 trips back there. Most of the Germans I have met are great people. You always find the rude ones but no more so than I find right here in the US. The person that posted the "warning" probably has the same problem in the US...if they let him home again.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 12:21 PM
tess

Hey bk, <BR>what about the tens of thousands who held a vigil in Berlin after hearing the news of the terrorist attacks? What about the five minutes of silence and complete standstill in Europe, and in Germany, the Friday (?) after the attacks? All work stopped, the schools closed, the churches were packed, and all church bells were ringing thoughout the country. I can tell you that a lot of Germans asked me how I was coping.