travel ideas

Apr 24th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

travel ideas

We are in the beginning stages of planning a big trip for the summer of 2008. we have 2 daughters (currently 10& 14). A couple things we have thought about are: a Norwegian/Scandinavian cruise, England, Canadian Rockies, Costa Rica, US National Parks...We would like some adventure.

Thanks for the ideas,
Gail
Apr 24th, 2006, 05:29 PM
rex

If there's a common theme in the five selections you listed (or is it 200? US National Parks? England?), I don't see it... or more like... I see it everywhere on earth.

So here are some random, arbitrary suggestions:

Help clean up or build homes in New Orleans - - there will still be a lot to do in 2008.

Alps and the Italian Lakes

Greece

France

Poland

Scuba and snorkel: the Florida Keys and the Virgin Islands

Moab, Utah for Arches and Canyonlands National Parks, then Aspen for hang-gliding and the Music festival

Massachusetts and Rhode Island

Kentucky and Tennessee

Idaho

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 25th, 2006, 03:48 PM
rex

topping...
Apr 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM

From your list, I think Costa Rica would offer the most "adventure".
Apr 26th, 2006, 03:13 PM
rex

Fodors staff: please e-mail this new registrant and tell her how to get back here to find her post.

You have her e-mail address. We don't (maybe encourage her to leave it publicly visible).
Apr 28th, 2006, 02:49 PM
rex

another lost newbie, it seems...
Apr 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM

This was an interesting question, only because those choices seemed so incredibly diverse to me. I was curious to hear more from Gail and her family.
Apr 28th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Neopolitan

Well, for adventure, I'd consider the Hurtigruten mail boat cruise around the northern coast of Norway, combined with some travel north of the Arctic circle in Finland and Norway, a meal underground in a Sami hut, tracking some reindeer, and some exploration of the fjords.

Apr 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM

<<<If there's a common theme in the five selections you listed (or is it 200? US National Parks? England?), I don't see it... or more like... I see it everywhere on earth.>>>

Rex, perhaps you scared the newbie off. Here is a woman coming to Fodor's for the first time looking for help. Instead she gets sarcasm and implications that she is an idiot. I wouldn't respond either.

Your answer about volunteering in New Orleans is a good one, but by the time you got to it, it came across as a condemnation of a family wanting to enjoy a trip together without a noble cause.

Loving parents planning a trip for their children is a noble cause. To have such diverse ideas shows that Gail was really trying to cover every base to make this trip special.

It is because of the FEW (Oh, oh, I used all caps for that word - let's start a thread...) people on this site who think their travel knowledge makes them superior and that saying whatever may be on their mind is okay, that makes many people post only once. This is a travel forum, I'm sick of everyone's red pencil!
Apr 28th, 2006, 05:59 PM
rex

I don't understanf, Fnf... what is the correct answer you would propose to provide additional ideas - - in the mold of ...

<< Norwegian/Scandinavian cruise, England, Canadian Rockies, Costa Rica, US National Parks...We would like some adventure. >>

What IS the mold?

I gave eleven answers which would all make a good "big trip" for a family.

Over two years away!
Apr 28th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Rex, you did give good answers. You are knowledgable and have a lot to offer at this group.

But...you first had to criticize her original list. Why not say, "An interesting assortment of ideas, here's some I would addquot;

And who cares if the trip is planned for 2 months away or 2 years? Who cares if the trip will only be traveled in her dreams? Is she wasting your time? Then don't answer. I don't remember reading that this site is only for serious travelers. It is informational. And should be friendly.

I love a sarcastic wit, but it works better when two people know each other well -- not with a stranger or first- time poster on a website. If you weren't being witty, then you were just being rude at worse, tactless at best.

Apr 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM

rex, you clearly weren't meaning to come off as rude. But Friendnotfoe is 100% correct. I was quite taken aback by what came across as sarcasm and condemnation in your initial post. We all make mistakes...
Apr 28th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Thanks, Guy. I agree everyone makes mistakes. They also misspell words, use the wrong word, hit the post button twice, read Rick Steves, actually like the rue Cler, love America, or France, or Italy, or whatever. They may ask the same question someone else asked and maybe, they don't have enough travel knowledge to ask the question the same way someone else might ask it that has more experience. They don't deserve to be answered rudely.

It seems that people delight in pointing out others' mistakes. I believe it keeps people from posting, I haven't because of it.
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
rex

I really did not intend to be smug, sarcastic, nor rude. I provided the only help, as far as I could tell, including topping the thread 24 hours later, to assist the OP to find it - - and recommending that Fodors write to them to let them know where the thread i.

And for the life of me, I do not know what is the pattern in the selections offered by the OP.
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Rex, I do believe you didn't mean to be rude. And, you did offer good suggestions. In fact, she may have come back, she just didn't post.

As for the pattern, I think it is just the choices of a varied family, of various ages, likes and dislikes. I travel solo and my own list of possible destinations has absolutely no rhyme or reason if I wanted to look at it that way. Everything doesn't have to make sense.

Truce? Better yet, friends?
Apr 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
rex

<< my own list of possible destinations has absolutely no rhyme or reason if I wanted to look at it that way. Everything doesn't have to make sense. >>

I understand that completely. My own list has only one similarity: places I have not yet been.

So, maybe my answer was meant to be provocative - - how can we suggest other places, if we don't know the criteria for what would likely appeal to you?

I guess I was miffed that my fourth effort to get this person some help was the one that drew criticism. If I was rude, the time to say it was after my first post - - to be dimissive of the help I offred, and propose a btter list than my own, based on some recognition of other destinations that fit "the mold".

Anyhow, sure, truce... what's your name, anyhow? Where is home for you? Are you a veteran with a new identity? I notice that you, too, have never posted on any other thread.
Apr 28th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Rex, my name is Marie and I live in the Pittsburgh area. I have never posted before. I tend to read the forum when I am planning a specific trip, or, like Gail, looking for ideas.

As you were miffed about me not mentioning anything for 4 days (I don't have the time or the inclination to come here everyday, so this is the first time I ever saw this particular thread). I was miffed because I did have some time to peruse the forum tonight and so many posts I looked at were sarcastic, rude, and a few came across as even mean-spirited.

After I saw your first post, I was surprised that you kept looking for the OP. I figured Gail was smart enough not to be a glutton for punishment. Anyway, your post was certainly not the most grievous of what I have read on Fodor's even tonight, but it just smacked me at the wrong moment. So I registered and spoke up.

I saw you are planning a trip to St. Thomas. Sounds great! I've been there once. Of the wide variety of "I wanna go to's", I must admit, I'm not a sand and surf person. I tend to usually look at France on Fodor's because I am always planning a trip to France in the back of my mind. If I'm thinking the shore, I tend to prefer the rocky coasts of New England or even the northwest (probably Ireland, too, but I haven't been there yet). Maybe the shore of a clear mountain lake. I usually take two or three trips a year. One international, one - two North America.

Anyway, I've said my peace. I may never post again, but I just wanted to remind this forum that sometimes it is better to be nice than right.

Apr 28th, 2006, 08:41 PM

I for one hope you WILL post again, Friendorfoe. What safer place for a little drama than a forum like this? Check out the "Rue Cler" thread if it's drama you want!

Anyway, we have many of the same interests. I live in Florida, but am not a beach person. I, too, prefer mountains and lakes and have a vacation cabin in the Georgia mountains. And France is my favorite destination.

So come on back and post. It's a lot of fun.
Apr 28th, 2006, 09:07 PM

You are very gracious. Thank you, Guy. I do like to read when I get a chance, but I'm not one to spend many evenings in front of a screen.

I agree about the rue Cler thread. I've noticed that tonight AND in the past. I saw your post. I'm not a RS fan, but I do read his guidebooks like I read every publishers' guidebooks before a trip. I have been to rue Cler because I prefer to stay in the 7th. I find it just as reasonable as the 6th, 14th, and 15th. I feel the most at home in the 7th. I didn't turn into a toad after my 15-minute walk down the street, nor did I suddenly speak fluent French. Nothing magical, but nothing evil.

My favorite part of Fodor's is the forum. I get very excited for all the people planning their first trip to their dream destinations. How wonderful! At 55 years old, each trip to me is as exciting as my first trip as a child to Niagara Falls. And the planning is a huge part of the fun! That's why I don't like anybody to put a damper on that. Ever notice how many first-timers say "This is probably a stupid question."? Doesn't seem right to turn around and say, "Yeah, that sure is stupid." Wouldn't bring me back, and might create enough self-doubt to question the wisdom of taking that trip to a place where I don't speak the language or understand the culture.

Guy, find a lovely lake to sit by and a nice cold beer this summer. I'm sure I'll be back.
Apr 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM

But what about Gail? Another Fodor's mystery, I guess.