Travel from Vienna to Bratislava

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 08:55 AM
Ian Coles

Anyone have any advice on the easiest way to do a day trip from Vienna to Bratislava at end of April ?

Many thanks

Ian

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 01:41 PM
Peg

Catch a train, fast and efficient. check this url for timetables etc.
http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/detect.exe/bin/query.exe/en
Peg.

Old Apr 8th, 2000, 04:59 PM
Rex

Really? not a hydrofoil? This is something I want to do someday, and I thought I had read that the hydrofoil is a great trip, and quick too.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 03:20 AM
Chris

Bratislava is the nearest major city to Vienna. The train from Vienna to Bratislava (when I took it) took 1 hour 6 minutes.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 05:36 AM
Jeanie

We took the train, it was fast, efficient and cheap. On the way back, we bought our tickets to return to Vienna in Bratislava, if I remember correctly, it was cheaper that way.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 08:40 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

Dear Mr Coles

The hydrofoil sounds splendid, but in fact the valley between these cities is wide, the vessel is not tall, and all you see is green riverbanks. You pay more, and you take longer, two hours. For some beautiful Danube you could try the Wachau between Krems and Melk, or the Danube Bend between Esztergom and Budapest.

The one hour six minutes (or so) is done by leaving Vienna South station at 0719, changing at Bruck an der Leitha, and reaching Bratislava Petrzalka at 0819. It's worth the early departure, as the next train is at 1015. Then you take a bus or taxi over the river to the city centre. Your last connection back is Bratislava Petrzalkja 2028.change at Bruck, and Vienna South at 2126.