Travel from Rome to Tuscany and Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help ! We have rented a car to drive from Rome to Siena (overnight) and then to Venice( for 2 days). Or would it be better to take a train?? Could we drop the car in Venice and take the train back to Rome ??
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:45 AM

that all depends...are you planning on side trip on the way to Siena? If not, save your money and take the train.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:07 AM

We just returned from this same trip (Rome to Siena, then to Venice and back to Rome). We did it all by train, and the train part could not have been easier. I don't know how brave you are, but in a million years, I would not drive in Rome! It was crazy. Termini, in Rome, was very easy to get to from our hotel. We stayed in Siena for two days--we did take a taxi from the train station to the hotel, but it was cheap. We took a bus to Florence and then trained it to Venice--that was definitely easier than trying to drive and navigate everything. In all places, the train stations were very central and easy to get to and from. I would re-consider the car. Unless you have other reasons for driving (a lot of luggage, kids or want to drive around and get lost in the countryside, etc.).
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:21 AM

Take the train. In Italy the trains are the most relaxing and enjoyable way to travel. Remember to keep an eye on your luggage.

Driving in Rome is insane, like no driving you've ever seen. Driving from the airport to Rome is also insane. The reason is that Rome is an old city with narrow streets, and they weren't built for traffic. Now take those narrow streets, some of which are as narrow as alleys or driveways, and add traffic trying to go in both directions, add pedestrians and vespas scooting by, and you will understand that it is truly insane!

Take the train. Take the cheap city bus or taxis within the city. Also I believe I recall that Rome has some pedestrian-only streets which you can walk down. Siena has an entire middle core which is pedestrian-only. and no cars in Venice at all.

The only place it makes any sense to drive is in the countryside in Tuscany (Siena, Chianti region). But even then it's not necessary, there are buses and trains, and you can get the name of some reliable local drivers if you want a driver. The local drivers know where they are going and are more accostomed to the traffic situation.

The cars driving from the airport to Rome do NOT EVEN STAY IN THE OBVIOUS LANES. They wander about between lanes as if they can see imaginary lanes which we visitors do not see! Reminded me a bit of those changing stairs in the Harry Potter movies. But we had a very good and careful driver from the airport to rome and we survived! He was an older gentleman, gripping the steering wheel tightly all the way!

The train goes directly from Rome to florence, by the way. It is more complicated to get to Siena. You might want to take the train directly from Rome to Florence, stay a couple nights in Florence, and then get the bus from florence to Siena. We actually hired a driver to get us from Florence to Siena, and asked him to take the scenic route through the Chianto area. A lovely drive.

Have fun planning your trip!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:29 AM
ira

Hi dm,

I wouldn't use a car just to get from city to city.

You can train from Rome TE or take the bus from Rome Tiburtina to Siena. See
www.trenitalia.com
http://www.senabus.it/

To get to Venice, you can go by train or you can take the SITA bus to Florence and train from there.

http://www.sita-on-line.it/

Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Grazie to you all !! Thanks for the tips. My DH wanted to drive (UGH)--I want us to enjoy the trip.
Yes, Sandy,we are staying overnight in Siena.
Hey, jleone-hope you had a great time !!!