Travel from Milan to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! This is great - first time posting a message.

My wife and I are scheduled to go Alitalia to Israel and on the return we are stopping in Milan for two days while touring Venice. My first question is this: Can you put baggage in storage at the Malpensa Airport while we go to Venice???? If not, what do you recommen d we do with a large suitcase for trwo days???

Second question: From the airport we will be taking a bus top the Central Station in Milan and take the train there to Venice. Should we make a reservation with the train and what is the key difference between 1st and 2nd class?

Thank you so much. silverspring
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
Can't answer the first question, only the second.
You don't say when you're going, so it may make a difference, depending on the train you want to take. Trains leave Milan for Venice S. Lucia at least every hour, quite often less than every hour, so finding a train that is not fully booked will be easy. The trains along this route are either IC, IR or ES, and each has differences. The IRs take the longest; the ICs in the middle, and the ES the fastest (and most expensive). 1st class is generally roomier seating and has a/c. Haven't taken the Eurostar Italia yet (first time, this summer), but I heard there's a/c throughout.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:12 AM

There's a left luggage office (deposito bagagli) certainly on the arrivals floor of T2 at Malpensa, and I understand T1 as well.

Although I've never used it, a quick Web search shows no about its now being closed.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 06:33 AM
ira

Hi SS,

It's a 3hr ride from Milan to Venice San Lucia.

If it will be July or August you might want 1cl for the AC.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:16 AM

You can certainly leave luggage at Milano Centrale station, as you can at most Italian stations.
First class train seats are a bit bigger and plusher than second class. I'd never bother to pay the extra myself, but if you're getting a cheap slow train, first class may cost little more than second class on a faster train. I'd rather be flexible and not book the train journey in advance - why hang around waiting for your booked train if you can just hop on the next train leaving?