Travel from London to Dublin

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 01:50 PM
Tami

Travel from London to Dublin

Hi. I'm planning a trip to Dublin. The best fare I could get is to fly into London. What is the best way to get to London - air, train, rent a car, ferry, etc. Please help!

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 01:55 PM
Cathy

Tami,
Check out this web site WWW.ryanair.ie and do a search on this forum for other no frills airlines,

Cathy

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 02:01 PM
Thyra

Hi Tami, I am assuming that you need to get from London to Dublin, or did I read your post incorrectly? If that is the case then call the airline that is flying you to London and see if they have a deal in place with another carrier who will take you to Dublin. Example American Airlines connected us to Dublin via British Midlands for under $100.00 per person round trip. That is the best and fastest way to get to Dublin from London in my opinion. You could also take a train to Wales and then take a ferry, which I have also done, but it would take at least a day, most likely two and ultimately cost you more especially when you add on tranfer from the Ferry port into Dublin and the meals on the Ferry (expensive and kind of icky). I wouldn't recommend renting a car because you will either have to pay a lot to get it ferried over to Dublin or drop it off in Wales (they usually add a fee for drop off in a different location) Plus you need to buy added insurance when you drive in Dublin since any car insurance that is offered on your Visa does not apply in Ireland,(as we found out in March). Good Luck.

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 05:57 PM
steve

I second Ryanair. I had a roundtrip flight from london to dublin for $6.40 plus tax (yes that is right - less than 7 dollars!!) the tax was about 40 dollars!

I booked it on the internet thru their website. If you are still flexible at this time, check several dates at they had many other dates that were more (tho still cheap). I flew to Dublin on a Sat. aft and back Mon morn

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 03:05 PM
jam

You could also try 'easyjet' who have cheap flights from Luton (not too far outside London). They've got a website - try easyjet.com or easyjet.co.uk

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 12:08 PM
betsbw

Ditto on Ryan Air. Can't say that I got quite the deal that the other poster did, but it wasn't too bad. They were very efficient and it's a quick flight to Dublin. Most of their flights are out of London Stansted, but we flew from LGW. They fly to other cities in Ireland as well.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 05:41 PM
Marlena

Like everyone else, I recommend the no-frills Ryanair, but please, please BOOK AHEAD! My boyfriend and I bought our tickets from London to Dublin at the very last minute on a trip last year, and paid through the nose.

Marlena
NYC