Search

Travel by Car

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel by Car

Has anyone traveled through Greece by renting a car? How is the drive from Athens to Meteora? I want the freedom of my own car and not limited in time visiting the places I am interested in seeing, but am worried about the roads (and my stress level).
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:10 AM

We spent 13 days this May driving all over mainland Greece. We traveled 1200 miles, driving a clockwise loop from the Athens ariport to Nafplion, Momenvassia, Mistras, Steminitsa, Olympia, Ioanniana, Meteora, Thessaloniki, Delphi and back to Athens. We found the roads to be in good condition and not very crowded. Most of the roads are 2 lane. However, you drive way to the far right on the shoulder so that the center of the road becomes a passing lane. The country has mountains everywhere and few if any guardrails. We have driven in many other European countries before and for the most part felt comfortable driving in Greece. We had a wonderful trip. If I can answer any other questions, please ask.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

You mention no guardrails. Did you find this a problem? Also, I am a 48 year old woman traveling alone with my 21 year old daughter (she has traveled extensively backpacking thru Europe), would you find Greece a safe place for us to travel alone by car?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM

You can click this link to see my trip report about Greece from last October. The driving section is very near the top.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34535452

As for safety my friend and I are both men in our 40's. We never had a problem or felt unsafe.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:00 AM
rex

Hi... and welcome to the forum.

I see that you are new here - - how did I know that? click on your own name (this is one of the numerous useful tips that Fodors fails to tell you when they send you that first e-mail confirming your registration) - - we'll assume that you have also not taken the time to read the "HELP" (little tiny red letters in the upper lefthand corner) - - another oversight that Fodors fails to recommend to you to do.

Anyhow, you owe it to yourself to take a look there: http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm - - especially http://www.fodors.com/forums/faqs.cfm#Q6 - - which I have listed below, in excerpt form, for you (my own emphasis added):

=========================

Finally, create a title - make sure it is concise and clearly describes your message (<b>and destination</b>, if applicable) -- and write your message in the space provided

==========================

Thus, when you re-post - - and you really <b>should</b> do that - - be sure and mention <b>Greece</b> in your message header.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:26 AM

KBURNS- I don't see any reason that it would be unsafe for women traveling by car. As for the driving, stay to the right and let the faster drivers pass you and only drive during the daylight hours. The lack of guardrails is often harder on the passenger who is looking down.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 02:09 PM

KBURNS: You're not alone just because you don't have a man to accompany you and your daughter! You'll both work together to figure out the roads &amp; you'll be fine.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Look at the bright side. With no man traveling with you, that means you'll be able to stop and ASK directions if you get lost.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Ha, ha - so true.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:31 PM

We just returned from Greece and travelled from the Athens airport to Meteora by car, about 4 and a half hours. Frankly, I was scared to drive and made my husband do all the driving. (I have driven around major cities in the U.S. and am not a particularly nervous driver). We found the drive to be exhausting with lots of traffic on the National Road. We may have had an unusual experience, however. We were driving on Friday of the big Pentecost holiday. The paper said a record 300,000 Athenians left the city that weekend. The road is fairly flat and straight. There were no drop-offs that would necessitate guard rails until you get to the roads between the monasteries at Meteora. There is little traffic there and you are going slowly, so it is not scary.

If you feel like you can handle it, it is awfully nice to have your own car at Meteora. We really liked being able to visit the monasteries we wished on our own time.