Reload this Page >

travel between naples train sta and amalfi

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:43 AM
Ana

What would be the best/economical/efficient way to travel from the Naples train station to our hotel in Amalfi? We do not plan on renting a car. Thanks to all who help!

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:19 AM
dale

take the circumvesuviana train from naples to sorrento. the sita bus for amalfi is right at the station. the whole trip shouldn't take more tha a couple of hours. buon viaggio.

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:39 AM
jahoulih

Good advice from Dale. You can check schedules for the Circumvesuviana at www.vesuviana.it, and for the bus at www.uniplan.it/sita/s509.txt. Except on Sundays and holidays, there's also a direct bus from Naples (s510)leaving every day at 8:45 and arriving in Amalfi at 11:30.

Old May 31st, 2001, 11:42 AM
Capo

Most economical: undoubtedly the Circumvesuviana train from Naples to Sorrento and then a SITA bus from Sorrento to Amalfi (as Dale noted.) <BR> <BR>Most "efficient" or "best" way: perhaps a taxi directly to Amalfi but, of course, that wouldn't be nearly as economical as the train/bus combination. <BR> <BR>

Old May 31st, 2001, 12:42 PM
carol

I just did the train/bus trip and it took close to three hours, with the wait between the train and bus. The bus is a prime tourist attraction as it goes down the coast, and frequently the bus fills up quickly, including standees, and you have to wait 20 minutes or so for another one. You might be more comfortable and make better time taking the bus directly from Naples to Amalfi.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 06:53 AM
Ana

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone know of an English language website that has the Naples-A <BR>malfi bus schedule? <BR> <BR>What do you think a taxi would run for 2 people for Naples-Amalfi?

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 09:11 AM
SteveJames

Hey guys - it's quicker to Amalfi via Salerno, not Sorrento! (The bus-ride Sorrento-Amalfi is 90 minutes, plus the Circumvesuviana ride is 65 minutes. As Carol says, it's nearer 3 hours altogether unless you get an immediate bus connection in Sorrento...) <BR> <BR>Via Salerno it's nearer 2 hours, Ana. <BR>Naples-Salerno by train is about 45 minutes. <BR>Salerno-Amalfi by bus is 70 minutes. <BR>(The timetable is on:- <BR>www.campaniatrasporti.it/sita/5121.htm <BR> <BR>The other timetable Jahoulhi mentioned is on:- <BR>www.uniplan.it/sita/s510 <BR> <BR>A taxi, I think, would be 200.000 Lire plus. (That's a guess as I've never done it). <BR> <BR>Hope this helps ... <BR> <BR>Steve <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 01:30 PM
jahoulih

Just went back to the Sita bus site and found that there are a lot more direct buses than the one I noted above. See also www.uniplan.it/sita/s502.txt, www.uniplan.it/sita/s502_1.txt, and www.uniplan.it/sita/s508_3.txt, and you'll find 8 more routes, including one (10:00-11:55) that also runs on Sundays and holidays. The pages are in Italian, but they're mostly just names and numbers. About the only words you need to know are "giornaliero" (daily) and "feriale" (workdays, i.e. not Sundays or holidays). Links to all the Sita lines are at <BR> <BR>http://www.uniplan.it/sita/linee.html

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 04:31 PM
Sue

A taxi for two cost about $85. from Naples to your hotel on the Amalfi coast. First you need to email your hotel and let them know the name of the station, the time your train in arriving, and from where the train is coming from. The hotel will arrange for the taxi to pick you up. Someone will be at the train station with your name on a sign.

Old Jun 1st, 2001, 04:40 PM
xxx

Heads up! <BR> <BR>Several of the trains that stop in Naples go on to Salerno, so if you are coming from, say Rome, you could go through Naples to Salerno without changing trains or switching to the Circumvesuviana. <BR> <BR>Now, could anyone tell me how to get from the Naples train station to the dock for the ferry or hydrofoil that goes to Serranto? <BR> <BR>Grazie

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 11:54 AM
xxx

topperino