Travel between France & Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying into Paris and will need to end up in the Cinque Terra (Monterroso al Mare) village in Italy. Any good routes over? FYI, I will have 14 days in France and then 16 days in Italy.

I found I could take a 5 hour train ride from Nice to Genoa and then catch a local train to the Cinque Terra villages. This works.

Is there a better route over? Maybe out of a different region in France? I realize it will depend on my interests, but have already predetermined the Cinque Terra as the first point of Travel in Italy.

Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 08:45 AM

There's a 10:05 departure out of Nice that, with a change in Genoa, takes a total of 5 hours. You could stay a little closer to the border, in Monaco or Menton perhaps. But Nice is a great town to visit, so probably the best choice for the terminus of your France segment.

By the way, when we took this train, it booked up early to our surprise. So you might want to buy the tickets in Paris or even before online.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 09:01 AM

With 14 days you could spend 4 days in Paris and then rent a car and travel through Burgundy and the Provence. Drop the car off in Nice or Menton to take the train to Cinque Terre.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 10:19 AM
blh

The train from Nice to Monterroso is probably the best way to go. Just be sure to reserve the seats. We did the trip in reverse, arrived in Nice, rented a car and spent a week in Provence. The suggestion from the previous poster to spend a few days in Paris, then drive through Burgundy and spend some time in Provence, is a good one. We love Burgundy and that is a good route from Paris to Provence.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all! These are great suggestions....Provence was on my list of places to hit and I like the idea of Burgundy too. Was origionally planning on taking trains everwhere, but the thought of a car in Provence is interesting.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 05:18 PM

Rent a car in Provence.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 07:35 PM

We took the train from Nice to Monterrosso to Vernazza. Easy enough but definitely reserve your seats. The 5 hours went by relatively fast. After our stay in Vernazza we took the train to Pisa where we picked up a rental car for touring Tuscany. Double check - our car rental office was not open at the train station the day and time we arrived so we had to take a taxi from train station to the airport to pick it up there.