Travel Base in Dorset or Devon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2018, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trying to figure out a more or less "central" place in either to use as a base for travel to both.

We would be flying into London and rather than rent a car there (unless doing so ends up being significantly cheaper/easier) am thinking we would take the train or fly further and rent the car closer and then drive to the "base" town.

We like seaside places but could base inland. Budget not really an issue. Timing could be Spring to Fall although in the past we have usually come over in the summer.

Trying to be as specific as possible at this point and suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 12:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Dukey,
Schnauzer is in Dorset for a few months. I’ll send her a link to your post, as she has been doing lots of gadding about & would be a good source of info, I think.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in Bridport for seven months and trains are non existent here, buses up and down the coast for a bit. Being on the coast is very lovely but it does add travel time to anywhere else. If that makes sense...

there are some lovely market towns around but parking in the UK is horrendous for the most part, I suggest wherever you stay make sure you have a designated parking spot. I'm having a day trip to Blandford Forum today so will report back!
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 12:22 AM

Dukey what sort of things do you like doing and seeing? I can give some more help if you would like. I've driven about 6000 miles in the past five months so to say I have been around is an understatement. I've been determined to see and do as much as is possible.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 12:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. Am interested in the overall scenery (I guess that's probably obvious), interesting churches, gardens, any "great" houses, museums..that sort of thing.

Are you going to write a trip report?
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in Dorset two years ago and will be in south Devon in October, no car either time. I moved along the south coast in Dorset, but would consider Dorchester as a base. In Devon I'm staying in Exeter and Torquay, and Exeter would work as a base..

For Dorset see: England and Wales by public transport

You might ask the moderators to tag this for the UK, and I'll PM annhig in case she doesn't see it.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 05:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks, thursdaysd - I had indeed missed seeing this.

Any advice from me comes with a government health warning, Dukey, in that I haven't visited this area for many a year, though a very close friend's of Bill's lives nearby, however from what I think I can remember, the coast is the main attraction in Dorset along with some pretty towns and countryside. Lulworth Cove springs particularly to mind and the area to the west of Poole Harbour. So Swanage might be worth looking at if you like the idea of staying in that area, or Wareham, or Dorchester if you decided to be inland. From any of those you would be able to get to Abbotsbury and Lyme Regis to the west, Montacute House to the north, and the New Forest to the East.

If you wanted something more "seasidey" you could go for Weymouth but my recollection of going there is decidedly ropy and restricted to memories of childhood summer fortnights spend freezing on the beach. Off season it should be less crowded and probably have better weather.

Do you say how long you'd be staying? if you have 2 weeks, you might think of a week in the south in a base somewhere between Poole and Lyme, and a week in North Devon, which barely anyone here thinks to visit but is really one of the most peasant places in the whole of the UK, IMMHO. Base yourselves in Lyton or Lynmouth and you could hardly find a nicer place - apart from the hills of course. You might stay at Woolacombe or Ilfracombe, or even in Barnstaple, though it is not the most attractive town. Another option is to stay in the Commodore Hotel at Instow - it's a little out of the way but has excellent food and wonderful views across the Torridge Estuary to the beautiful little ship building village of Appledore and would make an excellent base for touring the area.

I should probably stop there or I will not be able to stop singing the praises of North Devon.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 06:04 AM

I agree about North Devon - I'm doing the south this trip because I haven't done it before. BTW, Bradt has a new series of slow travel guides. I'm currently using their guides for South Devon and Dartmoor, and Norfolk, and recommend the series.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 06:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ann covers the main towns I like in Dorset pretty well. Her memory of Weymouth is fine while Swanage is about as bad. If one of these interests you have a look at the hotel near the Swanery (yes they protect swans) on Chesil beach. I've written to you before about the pubs in Lulworth bay (really only for walkers and lobster eaters but the site is wonderful for about 24 hours) You might prefer Blandford or Dorchester for access to roads to other places while Shaftesbury is better for the north of the county and Wiltshire thoughWharham is a nice little place if the bright lights of Poole are too much.

The choice of where to stay in Poole is a bit tricky, the posh people stay in hotels between Candford Cliffs and Sandbanks (the "Haven Hotel" has location but in high summer is a pain to get into and out of), people who like harbours stay on the quay at Poole itself but that lacks any real pazaz.

Dorset does not have a great music fesitval that I've noticed but it does have an arts fortnight where you can gain access to many artist's studios. https://www.dorsetartweeks.co.uk/ these places can be at the end of a track and the artists can be "artistic" but if you time it well and chose your location well this can be a fantastic way of emptying your wallet
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Thursdaysd and Annhig. These recommendations/thoughts are extremely helpful starting points.

We are in London for a few more days and being over here always makes me start thinking about the next trip. Last time it was Cornwall which turned out well and as much as we like London and all it has to offer, we have always enjoyed the countryside and smaller places.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Bilbo, just now saw your post and thanks for those additional details. The "posh people?" LOL...love that one.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 09:20 AM

Iv'e a gal pal who lives in Canford Cliffs, does this make me posh by association? It is rather nice I have to say!

Dukey I've sent you a private message....
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 09:52 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Just curious, where else in the English countryside have you been? Taking nothing away (at all, as it would be impossible) from Dorset/Devon (and I might add Somerset while we're in the area) there are other places you could consider for a countryside/exploration holiday. I'm particularly fond of East Anglia, for example. Just sayin'. Also, knowing how much time you'd have would be good to know.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Gardy, thanks. I am very familiar with parts of Norfolk and East Anglia having spent several weeks there off and on as well as an extended bout when I was taking a steam locomotive drivers advanced course some years ago. I love that part of the country for many reasons. The time will probably only be two weeks unfortunately as that is now about the extent we are able to be away from home. We have also spent time in the Peak District. I keep wanting to go to Yorkshire and as we whizzed through it on the train a couple of days ago I asked myself, "When are you going to do this? You know how much you want to."
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 01:06 PM

Ah, with two of you familiar with Norfolk I should start a thread. I'm planning to visit an aunt who lives between Sheringham and Cromer, probably basing in Norwich.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Schnauzer,

I have replied to your message.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 01:17 PM

Exeter would work well as a base - it's a small city with Roman walls, and a smattering of timbered buildings. Being a university city also means it has a good choice of bars and restaurants. With a car you can easily visit the various Jurassic coastal towns, the moors, Castle Drogo, Lynton and Lynmouth on the north Devon coast, Clovelly, and various stately homes.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 01:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<Dorset does not have a great music fesitval that I've noticed but it does have an arts fortnight where you can gain access to many artist's studios. https://www.dorsetartweeks.co.uk/ these places can be at the end of a track and the artists can be "artistic" but if you time it well and chose your location well this can be a fantastic way of emptying your wallet>>

Not that far away from Dorset is Sidmouth which has an annual folk festival in August - though I appreciate that that may not be the sort of music you had in mind.

Future Festivals ? Sidmouth FolkWeek

it became my family's favourite seaside resort in my teenage years and I still have fond memories of it, though I think the folk festival is a later innovation.

RM67 - I agree with absolutely everything you say about Exeter making a good touring base but for one thing - the appalling traffic, both getting into it and getting out. IME this applies not just in rush hour, but throughout the day but is worse at rush hour, obviously, and it didn't seem to matter which route I took either - from the north or the south it was always the same. So regrettably I could not recommend it for an extended stay with a car, but for two or three nights without one it would be fine.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 02:09 PM

Re: Exeter - I'm planning on four nights, but I'll mostly be using trains.
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone, for these additional comments, esp about Exeter. It is sometimes hard for me to relate to "appalling" traffic since my "appalling" is probably different from some others BUT I will remember that it would perhaps be an issue. Our last time over with a car (last year) yielded mixed results; the narrowness of some of the Cornwall roads (like that "back road" we took getting to Port Isaac which had us fording a stream in a ravine) along with the opposing traffic whizzing by from around blind curves and threatening side mirrors was memorable, believe me. BUT we persevere. I much, sometimes, prefer to travel by rail and i really should do more bus travel research for this upcoming adventure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -