Travel Agent Familiar with Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first time posting on this board. I want to thank the posters for sharing their very informative opinions. Based on the information on this board, I am planning to go to Ireland in March 2004. I am going to graduate school, so I am very limited to the 10 day spring break period.

I am leaning to go with CIE tours. Do any of you recommend a travel agent? I went to an agent from Liberty Travel and they knew NOTHING about traveling to Ireland. I did get a brochure and do you know if there are any discounts from the price listed on the brochure?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 10:57 AM

Hi Aleyda:

Couple of questions. Are you driving or looking to do the tour bus thing? Will you be traveling alone?

I'm not a big fan of the tour bus idea. They tend to go to as many places in a day as I go in a week and they zoom by amazing places and wave at them. You are also always with a crowd of people and they go to places at the same time all the other tour buses go to places so the crowds are usually substantial. I prefer the notion of getting to walk on one of those deserted Irish beaches alone (with my wife).

If you are traveling alone, you may like the tour bus idea, though it still wouldn't be for me. I'm guessing by the grad school thing that you may be part of the younger set and backpaker tours seem to have that younger theme.

If you are looking to tour on your own, this board and a few others may be the only travel agents you need. Let us know and perhaps we can save you a bunch of money and help you have lots of fun.

Bill
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Well, I am 36 and my husband is 41 so we are not in the youngsters category. My husband doesn't drive and with my driving skills - well-let's just say I REALLY believe the Irish will be happy that I am on a bus!

This is my husband's first trip to Europe. I went to Ireland once before, but I was only 14 so I know it will be a completely different experience for me.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:17 PM

We like to do Ireland on our own -- fly/drive.

If you are not into driving, then I guess the bus tour would be your best bet. I would go with the CIE tours. They have a good variety/itineraries based upon what your interests are.

Now you can really enjoy the Guinness without having to drive. Lucky you!!
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:54 PM

I have done 3 CIE tours and my TA has done CIE also, her addy is Ann G at Ultimate Travel, 702-567-2546. She is from Belgium and very well qualified. I found her about 8 years ago as her travel agency was recommended in Conde Naste for European travel. The agency is in Las Vegas.
Now, if you want to go by a strict discount for tours alone, I recommend www.trafalgartoursforless.com which gives a 5-8 discount for CIE tours land only, talk to Charles. However this is a bare bones operation, they only provide the discount and won't spend the amount of time discussing the choices as Anne would. Hope this helps.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:56 PM

PS, the CIE tours website offers discounts on their web page periodicly, be sure to check often.
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:56 PM

Try contacting 12travel.ie. They are a travel agent as opposed to a company that is going to sell you their specific services. If I were to do a tour, I would want it to be in a smaller group rather than one of those behemoth motor coaches. You would probably have an easier time with stopping in some special places as opposed to the pre-programmed we have to get it all done in a hurry type tour. There are a number of companies that do tours in a van type situation and you are likely to get better service. I?ve worked with 12travel before and though I didn?t end up using them, they were very helpful.

Another possibility is O?Scannlain at http://www.oscannlain.com/intro.html which is more expensive but gets high marks and they move at a reasonable speed. They have a great reputation. Not sure if their tours in March though. You can call them at 1-800-828-0826. I rented a car through them once and got great service and a great deal.

If you are truly afraid to drive there, than it is probably best that you don?t. I didn?t have any trouble adapting to it and now I actually look forward to driving there ? but that?s me.

Bill
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 12:59 PM

you can try Goldrush Getaways travel 800/377-6765
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 01:30 PM

Check www.irelandexpert.com
Old Dec 26th, 2003, 10:24 PM
cindiloowho

Here's another thought! We 'toured' Ireland last August with a tour leader, Michael Forristal, from Ireland Escourted tours. He was fantastic, took us anywhere we wanted to go, is extremely knowledgeable, dependable, and kind. If he can't olbige you, I am sure he could give you some sound advice on options. E-mail him at [email protected].

Old Dec 27th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Oops I meant to type trafalgartours4less.com provides a discount of 5 to 8 %. Sorry good luck whatever you decide. You can also contact me at my address above if you have any specific questions about CIE.