Reload this Page >

Travel advice for Paris in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:53 AM
gcl

Hi everyone! <BR> <BR>I will be going to Paris for the first time next month. I realize that July weather in Paris can vary, but I was wondering if any of you would take a chance on a hotel that has no A/C. Also, given the varying weather conditions, what kind of clothing do you recommend I take? Thanks. <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 09:37 AM
lisa

No, I would not choose a hotel without AC in July in Paris. I was just there at the end of May and it was much warmer than I expected and I needed to sleep with the windows open at night. Even though the hotel was on a quiet sidestreet I was still awakened by scooters, sirens, etc. -- which does not sound too bad, but you also have to factor in the fact that you are already tired from jetlag and your sleep schedule is all off-kilter. It's no fun to wake up tired -- you want to be rested so that you can enjoy what you're seeing. I strongly suggest you get a room with air conditioning -- that way you can sleep with the windows closed and get a good night's rest. If cost is a factor, there are a few two-stars with AC that have been recommended on this forum (the Hotel Muguet is one). <BR> <BR>I wore mostly capri pants and cotton short-sleeved tops when I was there, but brought along a couple of long-sleeved lightweight long-sleeved shirts/ sweaters to layer for evening (hardly needed them but good to have anyway). <BR> <BR>Bring the most comfortable shoes/sandals you have.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 09:44 AM
ann

Paris weather can vary greatly. Last July I was there for almost three weeks of temps in the 60s most days (that was the highs) with lots of rain. It often got sunny and 70s around 5 pm but the rest of the day was freezing, especially if dressed for what I expected in July. My french friends kept telling me how unusual the weather was.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 09:53 AM
christina

Of course I would, I always do -- I've been there maybe at least 6 times in July and have never had AC, although sometimes I was in an apt. or student residence dorm where you can't get AC, anyway. I don't like AC, though, and live in Wash DC so anything seems cool compared to here in July. I will admit there have been a few days in July when it was so hot I wished I'd had it, but they were probably about 10 pct of my time there in Julys. If you can afford it and find a hotel you like, I would get one with AC to be on the safe side, as why risk making a special vacation unpleasant. I've been there sometimes for a month or so and thus the cost really becomes a bigger factor. For July, I generally take warmer weather clothing, but at least one pair of jeans and one pair of long lightweight pants, one cardigan and one pullover sweater. Rest is typical clothing (skirt, Tshirts, etc). I used to always take a raincoat and did use it quite a bit two Julys in Paris, but last year I did not as I didn't want to use up the room -- I never missed it, and wouldn't have used it. I'm going in July this year and won't take a raincoat--I figure if it's really cold and rainy, I'll just have to go buy one in a discount store.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 01:51 PM
cristina

Everybody is right the weather there is really bizarre. When I first got there I wondered why everybody wore pashminas around there neck, but after going into the subway the mystery was solved. It can be really hot outside but in some subways there can be blasts of frigid air. I got sick within two days, I would recomend a light sweater, something you can tie around your waist or shoulders when its warm and then wear when it gets cold. I also found that when we were there, the mornings would be really cold and cloudy and the afternoons were really hot.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 03:51 PM
Charlene

Hi, I would definitly try to get A/C if you can. I've been there 3 times, always in summer. <BR> Also, be sure to get into the Metro for transportation, you can go anywhere, it is easy to do. Just get yourself a guidebook that explanes how they work. I used to make myself a little cheat sheet with my destination and all the correspondences (what they call the connections) I would need to change at. That way I didn't look like a tourist and could get anywhere. You can even take the Garr St Lazarre train out to Giverny to Monet's home- where you'll see the waterlily gardens-fabuolus and have lunch at the American Museum of art and see more impressionist art. <BR> <BR>In Paris don't miss the Musee D'Orsay and have lunch inthe nice restaurant on the 2nd floor it's an experience you will never forget. Be prepared for HOT and chilly weather and take comfortable shoes. Bon Voyage! <BR> <BR>Charlene