Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transportation to Stresa from Malpensa LATE ARRIVAL

Old Aug 7th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need help please getting to hotel in Stresa. Saw below information on an earlier forum and checking if anyone is familiar with this route ifs still offered.
My flight is scheduled to arrive Milan 21:40 which is too late to catch the last coach from airport. I am hoping I can save on the expense of a taxi if there is a way to arrive Stresa. Anyone familiar with the route mentioned below?

TO IMPROVE YOUR CHANCE TO GET TO STRESA ON THE ARRIVAL NIGHT YOU MIGHT TAKE A TAXI FROM THE MALPENSA AIRPORT TO THE RAILWAY STATION OF SESTO CALENDE. FROM THAT STATION THE LAST TRAIN IS AT 22:15.
SESTO CALENDE IS ON THE WAY FROM MALPENSA AIRPORT TO STRESA. WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE STATION, IF YOU MISS THE TRAIN YOU MAY ASK THE TAXI TO CARRY ON TOWARD STRESA. AT THAT TIME OF THE NIGHT THE TAXI SHOULD NOT TAKE MORE THAN 30 MINUTES TO GET TO SESTO CALENDE. COST OF THE TRAIN IS € 3.55/PERSON AND YOU CAN BUY THE TICKET IN ADVANCE ONLINE TO SAVE TIME. THE FINAL DESTINATION OF THE TRAIN WILL BE DOMODOSSOLA AS YOU CAN READ ON THE DEPARTURES BOARD AT THE STATION.
ALSO NEED THE NAME OF THE TRAIN LINE TO BOOK A TICKET IN ADVANCE. THANK YOU.
Old Aug 7th, 2018, 09:50 AM

Trenitalia.com for booking as that is a Trenitalia line to Domodossola I believe. How much is a taxi to Stresa vs to that station?
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Have not been to Stresa previously and unable to get earlier flight as I am taking nonstop on Aer Lingus. I will probably have no pay for taxi for the full journey. Know it would be easier than having to walk into train station with luggage. There is a shuttle service but will not get to Milan early enough. Thanks for giving me the train info.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Taxi will probably approach $100. No chance of renting a car?
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 11:48 AM

Actually having taken trains Stresa to Malpensa it is pretty easy - do you have wheels on luggage? Have you considered staying in airport hotel first night?
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 12:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can't get to Sesto Calende by 22:15. Assuming your flight is on time, you'd be lucky to be off the plane and in the terminal by 22:00. Passport control and walk to the taxi rank would take how long? Then the drive from Malpensa to the Sesto Calende station would take at least 30 minutes.

The Alibus to Stresa leaves from Malpensa, not central Milan, but you'd have to wait until 7:30a.

http://www.safduemila.com/alibus-201...omaggiore.html

Rome2rio.com estimates the taxi fare from Malpensa to Stresa would be in the range of US$85 to $100.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 12:45 PM

Yup best to stay in airport hotel or cough up for taxi.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 02:01 PM

You can't do it. We paid 120€ last year for that ride (there was considerable traffic, but no matte,r it's a very expensive ride). Stay at the airport. This wasn't a good plan, but Stresa will still be there.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for helpful advice. I booked into Hilton Garden Inn close to airport and now I have peace of mind in case Aer Lingus is delayed. I got a good rate and they have complimentary Shuttle service. I will reserve R /T Shuttle seats and this will save getting ripped off by taxis.I can enjoy full breakfast for 15 euros so I am all set. Appreciate all the help offered on board.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who assisted me arranging my journey to Stresa. I was able to change my hotel reservation in Stresa without any issues and looked at the Alibus schedule which I will note but not sure if my flight arrives in T1 or T 2. Having all the taken care of in advance is comforting. Your support is greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 10th, 2018, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You just need the hotel shuttle to drop you at one of the Alibus pick-up points (whichever one is closer) the next morning. In looking at the Alibus link again, I see the first departure for Stresa is not 7:30a but 8:30a. The pdf version is easier to read:

http://www.safduemila.com/files/alib...2018.3.22-.pdf