Transportation to Bellagio

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 02:22 PM
Edelson

Transportation to Bellagio

What is the most convenient way for 2 adults to get from Malapensa airport to Bellagio besides renting a car?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 02:24 PM
Paulo

What day of week are you arriving? At what time you figure you'd be free to go at Malpensa? Depending on your answers, a bus may be the most convenient option!
Paulo

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 03:33 PM
howard

Paulo, does the bus go all the way to Bellagio or just to the city of Como, where you then take the hydrofoil to Bellagio?

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Ellen

I do know that there is a shuttle between Malpensa and the train station. You can easily get the train from Milan central to either Como or Varenna. If you arrive in Como, you can take the local bus for a very scenic ride to Bellagio. The bus to Bellagio leaves directly from the Como train station. Or, you can take a taxi from Como station to the ferry and get the ferry to Bellagio. Alternatively, if you can get the train to Varenna, it is a quick ferry ride to Bellagio.
Ellen

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:44 PM
Paulo

No, the bus goes to Como. One of the frequencies goes all the way to Menaggio and one would still have to catch a boat. Once I'm at it, I may as well give the listed schedulle. Service is povided by SPT Como, leaving Terminal 1 at 9:25am, 11am, 12:15pm, 4:25pm and 7:25pm. The bus leaves Terminal 2 four minutes later. Travel time to Como is 1 hour. The 12:15pm bus is the one that goes to Menaggio (after stopping in Como), arriving at 2:05pm.

If I'm not wrong, the bus shuttle to Milano Centrale leaves every 1/2 hour, on the hour (and :30). The train trip to Como takes, say, 40 minutes, and there are trains from 7:25am, roughly every hour (no train at 10:25am). As a rule of thumb, to catch a train at x:20, one has to catch the shuttle at hour x-1. In other words, the trip to Como adds up to about 2 hours.

In conclusion, if one is set to go (after customs, etc) from Malpensa BEFORE 7am, the shuttle+train option would work better (if I'm not able to get the 7am shuttle, I wouldn't care to take the next one to arrive in Como just a few minutes earlier; I'd wait for the direct bus and minimize luggage handling). Between 7:05am and 12:15pm, the direct bus to Como should be the option ... and so forth.

Paulo

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Paulo

Yes, one may take a train to Varenna and a ferry back to Bellagio. Trip takes one hour and frequencies are not out of this world (8:15am; 9:15am; 12:15am; 2:15pm; 4:15pm). Just don't get to Varenna too late when the ferries have closed operations
Paulo

Old Jan 11th, 2001, 06:40 PM
howard

Assuming you can make reasonably decent connections, it's more convenient and faster to leave from Malpensa and go directly to Como by bus and then take the hydofoil to Bellagio. If the hydrofoils are on the same schedule as in October, make sure you take the one that only makes two or three stops between Como and Bellagio and takes 45 minutes. The other one makes many stops and takes two hours. If you can't make good connections once you get to Como, it's a very pleasant place to spend a few hours.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 03:43 AM
michael

bus from airport to como, then boat sounds good. if i'm willing to spend a little more, how much would a taxi from malapensa to como lakeside cost me? thank you for the info everyone.

Old Jan 12th, 2001, 04:07 AM
paulo

A fellow traveler here in Brazil contacted her hotel to be in Como and they offered a "big" taxi for Lit 170,000. She was worried that "big" could not be big enough to accomodate her family of 5 and luggage and decided for contacting www.itwg.com and hiring a taxi-van for USD 145.

I have no idea how the taxi cost responded to pretrol prices hike in Italy. A wild guess is that you should be able to bargain the ride for under Lit 180,000.

Paulo