Transportation Help Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are doing a self drive barge trip with friends in Sept. /13, starting in Le Mas d'agenais and ending in Montauban. Not the easiest places to get to.

We will be flying into Barcelona from Toronto and spending a few days there. We then have to make our way to LeMas d'agenais. After the 10 day barge trip we will have to find our way to Paris CDG to fly home from Montauban.

I have looked at both train and bus schedules but nothing is posted for that far out yet. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what the best plan would be to connect to these cities.

Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:09 AM

I'm not sure I understand the problem. The fares and schedules for September 2013 may not be posted yet, but the routes and times are all on www.voyages-sncf and probably RENFE too, so there's nothing preventing you from figuring out how to get from one place to another, even if it's too early for the exact schedules or fares.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
let the train take the strain. Trains will not change much from now until the autumn.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:22 AM

I agree with the above posters. Montauban is on the line from Toulouse to Paris and there's a train every hour and it's very easy to get to. Decades ago the train to Toulouse stopped at Montauban - nothing has changed.

There is no train that goes directly to CDG airport - you have to go to Paris first and then make your way to the airport.

You're not going directly to CDG on the day of your flight, are you? I hope not.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 10:51 AM

Well if it was me I'd fly with vueling.com from Barcelona to Bordeaux, then take a train from Bordeaux to Marmande, then a taxi to Le Mas d'agenais

On my way back I'd catch a train from Montauban to Bordeaux, then a TGV direct to the airport avoiding Paris. See bahn.com for provisional train times.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 11:35 AM

If you fly to Bordeaux you sill need to get from the airport to the train station. There might be a direct bus service (it is quite a distance) or one can take a direct city bus (a long ride from one end to the other) to Place des Quinconces which provides a direct connection to the streetcar that goes to the train station.

From Bordeaux there is a train service to Marmande (it takes about 1 hour) and from there a taxi might be necessary (14 km. to Le Mas-d'Agenais), which was our case when we started a trip from St. Florentin on the Burgundy canal.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 11:44 AM

I don't know anything about plane connections (check www.whichbudget.com), but it might make more sense to fly to Toulouse rather than Bordeaux. I agree getting from the Bordeaux airport to the train station is a pain.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM

to quote from the Bordeaux airport website

"Departing from Terminal B, Arrivals level, the Jet'Bus shuttle connects Bordeaux Airport to Bordeaux train station via the city centre every 45 minutes, 7 days a week. The ride from start to finish lasts around 45 minutes"

http://www.bordeaux.aeroport.fr/en/i...huttle-service
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think what we will do is take the train to Toulouse. It will take just over 5 hours going through Narbonne and cost about $100US each.

We can meet our friends there and catch the train to Marmande and taxi to Les Mas d'agenais.

On our return we will fly out of Toulouse to Munich and then to Toronto. It is actually cheaper to do that than find our way to Paris and fly out of there.