Reload this Page >

Transportation from Heathrow to Waterloo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 05:33 PM
Rick

Is there any bus and/or train that goes from Heathrow airport to Waterloo station. I need to catch the Eurostar to Paris. Thanks for your help.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 05:38 PM
Nicholas

I am in the same boat, but what I really need to know is--Is it much better to just take a cab to Waterloo since it will be 3 people? How much is the approximate fare from the airport to Waterloo? Many thanks in advance.

Old Aug 7th, 1998, 05:57 PM
frank

I'm not in the same boat but in the train. I'll be coming from Paris into Waterloo station and need transportation to a Heathrow Hotel (The Excellsior). So far I have learned that I can take the underground to Paddington Station to catch another underground to Heathrow. Everyone has warned that it's not simple with luggage in excess of a backpack. There is also the airbus but as far as I know it doesn't come to Waterloo station. It seems the only simple but expensive way is by taxi.

Old Aug 8th, 1998, 05:29 PM
Trish

During my three visits, I have always taken the tube from Heathrow to my London destination. Although hauling the luggage can be cumbersome, it beats the high cost of London cabs. <BR> <BR>You will have to make two changes after leaving Heathrow. Leaving Heathrow on the Piccadilly line, you must change to the Circle or District Line at either Gloucester Road or South Kensington. From there, you take that line to Embankment where you will take either Bakerloo or Northern to Waterloo. It sounds worse than it is. I would guess the trip would take approximately an hour and you would be at the Eurail terminal, which is quite lovely. <BR> <BR>I believe the cost, last I checked, was about $6 US dollars for the trip. I cannot tell you the cost of a cab ride, but I'm certain it is much higher than triple that cost. Good luck.

Old Aug 8th, 1998, 05:32 PM
Trish

Please replace the word "Eurail" with "Eurostar" in the above message. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 8th, 1998, 08:58 PM
greg

First, I am very curious as to why someone lands at Heathrow then goes straight to Paris. <BR> <BR>We took the taxi from Heathrow to Green Park, we paid 40pounds including tip and fees for additional passengers and luggages. Waterloo would be at least that amount. <BR> <BR>Here are the tube vs taxi trade offs: <BR> <BR>Travel time: I can't imagine any surface non priority transportation to be faster than the tube. <BR> <BR>Luggage: It is not that tubes lack luggage spaces, except during rush hours, there are spaces opposite from the entrace doors for luggages. The difficulty is the connections, into, and out of the stations. Whether this is a problem has to do with how much you will be carrying and how comfortable you are in carrying them over distances, up and down the stairs. Yes, they have escalators, but we encountered our shares of out of order escalators. Also, the escalators change directions to favor heavier traffics during rush hours (you have to walk if you are going against them.) <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 10:00 AM
Mike

I had thought there was a direct rail connection recently opened from Heathrow into one of the London train stations? Apparently, while it is moderately more expensive than the tube, it is quicker and much more convenient. <BR> <BR>Does anyone have information on this? I'd certainly be interested since I will be flying into Heathrow next month. <BR> <BR>Mike

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 10:13 AM
Roger

The new train service is the Heathrow express. 15 minutes from Heathrow to Paddington Station. Cost is 10 pounds each way. You can purchase your ticket at the ticket window or on the train. Trains depart every 15 minutes. If it were me I would take the Express and then either tube or taxi to where you wish to go.