Transportation from Heathrow

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 01:59 PM
JoJo

Transportation from Heathrow

We are arriving early evening on a Sat. Which is the preferred mode of trans.? Taxi, limo service, other? Any input will be most appreciated.

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 02:03 PM
Angela

JoJo
To get into London the best option is probably the Heathrow Express. Their web site is easy -:
www.heathrowexpress.co.uk
There you can see timetables, prices ect
Angela

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 02:05 PM
Patrick

Since there are at least two of you in the "we", I suggest that the savings are not worthwhile to take the tube or the new express train into London and then a taxi to your hotel. A taxi is fine, but I always use a service that meets you at the airport and takes you direct to your hotel for less than a taxi. I use Swiss Cottage Cars and this May it cost me 25 pounds from the airport to our flat in the heart of Covent Garden. Their phone number is 011-44-171-431-2700 or 011-181-340-3000. They answer by several corporate names, so don't be alarmed if they don't call themselves Swiss Cottage Cars, that's just the name I always remember. I have used them 6 or 7 times now and they have always been waiting and always been friendly, helpful, and polite.

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 02:10 PM
virginnolonger

Hello, We just returned from London. We were advised about how great the Express was or to take the tube. It was a bit crowded...too many stops for our liking and since we didn't know exactly where our hotel was, we walked a few extra blocks before we found it.

On the way back to the airport, we took a taxi and went from door to door. It was well worth the extra $$$ and when we go back, we'll budget the extra $$ for the taxi.

Just one guy's opinion. We did love the city and will go back next year!

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 02:30 PM
Patrick

Guess Angela and I were posting at the same time. I checked out the express website and see that the special web rate is 11 pounds per ticket or 22 pounds for two. Some will tell you that the time you save --only 15 minutes into the city is worth the price. But assuming it takes you 10 to 15 minutes to walk with your luggage to the point of departure for the express, and you may need to wait up to 15 minutes for the next train, then 15 minutes to the city, then out into the train station line waiting for a taxi, then the taxi ride to your hotel (depending on how far from the station), it will normally be about an hour or more --door to door so to speak. I still say, you will spend more for two express tickets plus taxi to the hotel than for a reserved private car (which incidentally has always been almost an exact hour to our place in Covent Garden), plus you have the luxury of someone meeting you, helping you with your luggage and no multiple schlepping of luggage from carousel to express train, from express train to taxi line. I am always tired when I arrive in London and certainly prefer the extra service. What a joy to come out of customs and see my name on a sign below a friendly face. The flat we rent is above a shop called "Home" and I told that to the car service when I reserved last time. When we came out of customs, the man's sign said, "Welcome home, Mr. ______".