Transportation

Dec 12th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Anne McClintock

Transportation

I will be traveling in England from Gatwick Airport to Southampton. Is the train the best way? Should we get a railpass before leaving home in US since we will be using Southampton as our hub to travel to other areas for day trips etc.

Thanks for your help.

Dec 12th, 2000, 06:19 PM
Danna

Anne,

While I can't give you advice from Gatwick to Southampton... My advise is take a local bus as often as possible. My husband and I took busses for 3 weeks (in 3 countries) and have never regretted that choice. My experience is that on a train you sit in your seat. On the bus you can chat with the driver, other passengers and people at the stops. Go By Bus is my mantra,... and I'm sticking to it!
Have Fun!

Dec 12th, 2000, 09:49 PM
Tony

There are many different ways by train from Gatwick to Southampton, none of them particularly easy, unless your plane lands in time to catch the 0851, which is a direct train from Gatwick to Southampton.
Others trains involve changes at East Croydon and Clapham Junction or in London at London Victoria, with cab or tube ride to London Waterloo, or at Shoreham on Sea. The good news is the trains are frequent.
Suggest you check www.railtrack.co.uk which will give you all the timings and options. Journey time varies, upwards of 2 hours.
If you decide to get a railpass. get a 2nd.Class one, as many of the trains around Southampton don't carry lst.Class cars,unless you are planning long distance travel from Southampton.

Dec 13th, 2000, 10:03 AM
JP

You can look at www.gobycoach.com for bus information. It looks like you have to transfer at Heathrow, and the price is around 14.00.

Dec 13th, 2000, 11:52 AM
Roger

I checked the site recommended by Tony and came up with the same info,however, I also checked the German timetable and they showed a direct train service from Gatwick to Southhampton, no transfers, departs about ever hour and takes a bit less than 2 hours. Hopes this helps.

Dec 13th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Tony

Anne..

Roger is quite right - there is a direct train every hour from Gatwick at 51 minutes past the hour (or 9 minutes to the hour if you prefer) direct to Southampton. He was more thorough than me with his research.