Transport to Naxos

Search

Transport to Naxos

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2017, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transport to Naxos

So, we are a family of four (two adults, two small boys), and we are considering a trip to Naxos in late August/early September. Flying from Boston.

We are wondering about transport. Is it better to fly into Athens and fly to Naxos or fly into Santorini and take the ferry.

We have limited time, and our boys are a bit rambunctious (they will be four and six). We are a bit scared of booking a separate flight from Athens to Naxos in case our original flight gets delayed or there's a problem. We'd like to minimize transfers and schlepping around.

If we flew into Santorini, and we could stay enjoy the views for one night before heading off to Naxos, maybe?

Would it be better to use a Greek travel agency? Would they help us if we have a cancellation or other snafu?

Thoughts?
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 02:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Try to book an onward flight from Athens to Santorini as an addition (same itinerary) to your transatlantic flight. That way if there's a delay and you miss the onward flight, they'll put you on the next available, no charge. I think that's the best way to accomplish what you want. Plan for at least 2 nights on Santorini so you have a full day, then ferry to Naxos. That what I've done and it worked very well.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 08:33 AM

To the best of my knowledge United is the only American air line that is a member of the Star Alliance. Aegean is also a Star Alliance member so your only choice would be to book United with an Aegean connector. That way the airlines will get you to where you want to go.

You can book Aegean to Naxos (there are three flights a day) and to Santorini. Chose whichever island has the best connections based on your transatlantic arrival time.

I am pretty sure no American airline has direct flights to Santorini you will need to fly to Athens and get a connector.

I suppose if you are not taking one of the direct flights to Athens from the US you might choose to fly to another European city. In that case you may be able to get a direct flight to Santorini. You will still have the connection worries though.

Personally I would have no concerns about booking a separate connecting flight on Aegean. As long as you give yourself 2 hours connection time you will make the next flight.

The two best Greek Travel agencies are Dolphin Hellas and Fantasy Travel. We have used Dolphin Hellas. They actually got us a private car at 3am to the airport during a taxi strike. We now do it totally on our own.

For fun here is what you can expect on Naxos
Naxos Town http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632094558042/
Trip around Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7634605629689/

By the way I would suggest you find a hotel on St George beach. It is part of Naxos town so you get the beast of a beach and town vacation. St George is pretty much always full of kids.
St George Beach Naxos http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632113170279/
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. The flight to Naxos right now is prohibitively expensive. I suppose I have to wait for the schedules to be released.

By direct to Santorini I mean one stop.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 08:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Since your time is limited, I suggest just going to Naxos, a place I loved, Santorini not so much. I'd ask is it worth the bother & expense for a look at the views?
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

The reason I am thinking to fly into Santorini is so I can get to Greece one-stop from Boston.

I am flying with two small children and am concerned about transfers if I book a separate flight from Athens to Naxos. If my flight to Athens gets delayed, I may miss the connection since it won't all be on one ticket.

If I have a day buffer either way in Santorini then it will be less stressful.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 02:37 PM

overit. I am confused. You appear to be saying that you can fly from the US to Santorini with one stop. I am presuming that one stop is in Athens? Correct. Then on the same ticket you will book your flight to Santorini. That means you will be flying United and then Agean to Santorini. Am i getting this correct?

You can accomplish the exact same thing by flying to Naxos from Athens While their flights to Naxos are on Olympic, Olympic is owned by Aegean and therefor you can book that Naxos flight in conjunction with your United flight as they are all star alliance.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the confusion! The one stop is currently London or Zurich. Not Athens. Boston to Naxos is currently $4556!
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 03:57 PM

Overit -- I assume thar $4556 number is for the 4 of you ... for one person, that's like a private plane. It would clarify comparisons if you would jut give the fare you have for ONE ADULT.. and the exact flight date(s). I have often found a large difference between flying on a Tues-Wed, vs Friday.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Nope, Traverlerjan, it's per person. It's because it's too early. Fares will drop later but i don't have the luxury to wait. Have to take advantage of the strong dollar if I'm going to make this happen with my DCAP money.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 06:31 PM

Ok get it. The fares should be pretty good flying to a city in Europe and then catchings connector to santorini. I would google flights Frankfurt, then Munich.then london then Vienna then Amstertam to Santorini and see what makes the most sense for money and ease of connection.