Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Transport between CDG & Paris for mobility challenged

Old Apr 25th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving at CDG in mid-September with my mother who uses a walker - one of those 4-wheel-with-a-seat deals. We will also have 3 full-size suitcases as we will be in France for 5 weeks and take 1 suitcase full of extra stuff for her comfort. We will need transportation into Paris (Left Bank), then from Paris to Orly where we will pick up our car for the remainder of our trip. I'm trying to figure out the best way for us to get from CDG into Paris, then to Orly: hired car (kind of pricey), taxi (are they large enough to handle all of our stuff?), or shuttle. Can anyone provide some input on this for us? Much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 06:41 PM

I used www.shuttle-inter.com They were waiting forme when I got off the plane. Others on Fodor's have used them as well and they are reliable. Check the site for prices> I think it's about 50 euro into Paris from CDG.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:37 PM

In your case the above suggestion might be the best bet. As I understand it, one of the best things about Shuttle Inter is that you pay in the vehicle... if they are a no show you haven't lost any money and can take your time and just walk to the regular taxi rank. 2 people and 3 bags are not a problem for a cab.

Are your car rental arrangements set in stone? You might want to consider picking up your car in Paris as close to your hotel as possible then picking up your mother once you have the car.
It will save your mother the hassle of going out to Orly and driving in Paris is not the horror so many make it out to be.

If you plan things out on a map and don't do it at rush hour chances are you'll be fine. I have both picked up and dropped cars in Paris on several occasions and just don't see the point of going out to the airport.

Rob
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:50 PM

Another vote for Shuttle-Inter. They will meet you where you exit baggage claim and help get your luggage to their waiting car. It is a private shuttle, meaning that you and your mother will be the only passengers.

Price is 55 into Paris for up to 3 people.
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM

I took a taxi from CDG to Paris with two bicycles in protective cases in tow. There are plenty of minivan taxis in the taxi line if you decide to go that route.
Ann Marie
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 06:43 AM

We had a bad experience with
Shuttle Inter last summer. They were not there upon arrival and it took 3 phone calls before they came. They left us stranded for our return trip, despite 2 reconfirmations. Someone else had the same thing happen just this month.

Our family of 4 has taken a minivan taxi several times and it worked well for us. Lots of room and from CDG you don't need to make any special arrangements. For your return trip, I would call a day ahead just to be sure to get a taxi that is large enough.
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 07:10 AM

CJT0427--So happy you did the separate posting. I read the above posts with interest. Sounds as though for the CDG/Paris aspect, the Shuttle Inter, since they have you pay IN the van, not ahead of time, would be a good Plan A and you can always do the taxi rank for a mini-van taxi as your back-up Plan B.

Good luck!
Old Apr 26th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your valued input.
Carolyn