Trains on May 1 in Italy

Search

Trains on May 1 in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains on May 1 in Italy

We will be in La Spezia Italy on May 1. We want to take the "regionale" train to visit Cinque Terre.
My question is how is the train schedule effected when it falls on May 1. According to the Italian train web sites I have checked, the schedule is the same as on other week days, however, I have been to Italy enough times to know that this may not be true.

Can anybody give me some advice?
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 05:18 AM

Trains run on these type of hlidays just like on Sundays - trenitalia.com is right IME.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 05:44 AM

And you are also correct that trains actually run on Italian time , just like any other days.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 06:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Sometimes there is a reduction on Sundays/holidays and sometimes Trenitalia will announce a holiday schedule on certain routes on their website. You should be able to search the schedules on Trenitalia, but not buy.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 06:23 AM

Yes, the trains will run according to the published timetable.

I have been on trains all over Europe that did not run on time. I've had the greatest trouble in the UK with delayed and cancelled trains, but also experience the same in Germany. I live in Italy, and take trains all the time and they are no more or less punctual in my experience.

However, the coastal route along the Riviera is frequently subject to hang ups because (a) the tracks are built right into the cliffs, passing through many tunnels, and even where they are in the open, there is no room to widen them. The tracks are shared between many overlapping trains runs. The Freccia and Inter-City trains have a priority on the tracks, so the regional trains must wait to give them access.

But one of the main reasons the regionale trains around Le Cinque Terre/La Spezia are delayed is just the very large number of tourists getting on and off at each stop, many of them hauling a lot of luggage too.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:02 AM

The worst train delays I've ever had were on Amtrak. They seem to consider a train "on time" if it's only an hour late. I, too, find Italian trains to be pretty reliable.

The holiday schedules aren't usually the same as the weekday schedules. They're similar to (or the same as, depending on the line) the Sunday schedules.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:06 AM

Even Swiss trains, rumored for being clocklike on time IME are often a bit late - sometimes more.

But the trains you are talking about are a crucial link to the 3 Cinque Terre towns not readily accessible by car and they will be running, barring some kind of strike which is always possible in Italy but usually reviewed days before and typically last six hours or so and some trains even then are immune, in theory from being struck - these are noted in trenitalia timetables.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 08:54 AM

There are almost NEVER transportation strikes on May 1 because strikes are not designed to incovenience working people on their day off! Also, a fair number of May 1 celebrations take place that are organized by the labor unions, and they like big attendance.

Around La Spezia, the trains heading into le Cinque Terre are almost like a subway route -- in that, you just go to the station and wait for the next train. Usually you don't need to wait long for one to come along.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 09:17 AM

There is no railway strike announced for May 1st.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 09:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>The worst train delays I've ever had were on Amtrak. They seem to consider a train "on time" if it's only an hour late.<<<<

Amtrak doesn't have priority on the rail lines in the US. Freight has priority so Amtrak has to allow many freight trains to go ahead of them by slowing, etc. Amtrak has no say in the matter.
Old Mar 15th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all the contributors.

I will add my own little story about transportation in Italy on a holiday, although not about the trains. Our rented car broke down while we were in Luino on Lake Maggiore. It was April 25, "Liberation Day" in Italy. The rental company told us to return to Malpensa and they would give us another car. Unfortunately, there were NO buses because of the holiday.
In the end, and after several hours of waiting, the rental company sent a tow truck to take us and the car to Malpensa. Fortunately, the tow truck driver was quite entertaining and friendly and on the way to Malpensa, he took us home and showed us his collection of renovated antique cars. He turned out to be one of the highlights of the trip.
In the end we got to Malpensa and got another car.