Trains in Italy - HELP!

Search

Trains in Italy - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trains in Italy - HELP!

I've looked for these answers, but thought it would be easier just to post the queston here.
We will be in Italy this May/June. While there for a 10-day trip we will need to take a train from Florence to Rome and then Rome to Naples. What is the easiest way to purchase tickets for the train? Online before we leave? Wait until we get there? We know the dates/times we will need train tickets, but I don't want to pay "extra" just to book early if we don't need to. Any suggestions/advice/comments? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:23 AM

Ami -

You can purchase them at the trenitalia web site with no additional charge (this is what we did). However, you can't purchase them more than 60 days in advance of your train trip. If you get them from the internet, you simply print out your e-mail from trenitalia confirming your purchase, show the e-mail at the train station for your ticket, validate the ticket, and get on board. (Others have said you can just show your e-mail ticket confirmation on board your train, but I'm not sure I'd want to take that chance just to avoid standing in one line at a train station).

Alternative, you can purchase your tickets after you get to Italy and go to your first train station.

Either way is pretty easy.

KC
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM

FYI, when we traveled by train we just took the e-mail confirmation with us on the train, as the previous poster mentioned. I was a bit worried about how it would work, but we had no problems whatsoever. You just go ahead and board the train, and a conductor later comes along asking for tickets. When you give him your e-mail receipt, he prints out tickets on a little hand-held device and gives you a receipt. This was an easy option, esp. early in our trip when the hustle and bustle of the train station was a bit overwhelming. Also, the Trenitalia site sometimes runs specials...When we traveled last spring we were able to travel first class on a couple of routes for the same cost as second. The site is in English and very easy to use. The Have fun!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM

You can purchase your ticket from a train station when you get there. I was in Naples last Aug05 decided wanted to take trip up North to Turin walked into station bought ticket instantly at no extra charge. I personally prefer to do that because you will be alittle bit more flexible when you get there.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:43 AM
ira

Hi A,

Tickets are at www.trenitalia.com for the same price as in Italy.

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your responses- you are always so helpful!
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM

If I buy a ticket online (from the airport to termini) with a specific time and my flight gets delayed, can I take the train at a different time? would my ticket be still valid??
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM

There is absolutely no reason to buy a Fiumicino-Termini ticket ahead of time on line. The trains leave every half hour. What is more important is to be waiting at the track before the train comes in, instead of trying to board at the last minute, when most trains will already be full and only standing room will be available.