trains from London to North and west

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I've posted before, I'm trying to coordinate my own Harry Potter tour but I can't seem to decifer the info on the train system in the London area. Im trying to figure out the best trains and approx. prices for trains from London to Oxford and then from London to Lacock. Based on some of the sites I've seen, I can't tell which train line covers these areas. I'd also love to find a way to get to Gloucester, preferably from Oxford but a previous post mentioned that it was by bus only.
Can anyone share some insight with me on training these areas and approx costs?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:24 AM

For train schedules in Britain, use www.nationalrail.co.uk or www.bahn.de. For times and prices, try www.thetrainline.com.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Sylvia

You can find information about companies, buy online and see timetables at http://www.rail.co.uk/

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

I need a little more guidance here. I know that Oxford is stop, but Gloucester and Lacock don't seem to have stations - at least when I put those towns in as a destination I receive an error message. Can someone help me identify the nearest stations?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Can you hire a car either to drive yourself or with a driver?

British trains are rarely on time, and always delayed! Furthermore, the cost of having to get taxis from the stations (usually on the outskirts) to your destination and "around town" will soon mount up. A car with/without a driver is a far more economical and practical option.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Renting a car would be ideal. Are the road in UK fairly easy to navigate?
Or does anyone have any resources for hiring a driver for a day?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Gloucester certainly has a station, but I'm fairly sure Lacock does not. Get a good map to see where places are in relation to railway lines. London-Oxford is an easy, fast journey by train. There is no direct line from there to Gloucester, so it may be quicker by bus as the train journey would be via Didcot and Swindon, but the train web sites will give details of the train connections.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:43 AM
ron

To get to Lacock, take the train to Chippenham and bus from there (circa 3 miles). You CAN get to Gloucester from Oxford by train. It will take about 2 hours and will involve a change of train someplace -- Worcester, Birmingham or Didcot Parkway. The names of the train operators doesn't really matter; it's an integrated system. Fares and schedules are on the sites mentioned by Geoff.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:45 AM

I just checked www.nationalrail.co.uk. It is possible to get from Oxford to Gloucester but it is not direct. Can't bring up Lacock.

I second mkingdom's suggestion of a car. That way you're not locked into the train's schedules. I haven't used the trains in and out of London for awhile but I do recall a couple of the trains I was on running at least 2 hours late and one train completely cancelled.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Aircars2000.com (I use them for airport transfers) will be more than happy to oblige - you create an itinerary and their courteous and well spoken drivers will chauffeur you around. They have an all Mercedes fleet, so you will be comfortable. I'd imagine this would cost around 300-400GBP cash depending on how long your day is.

The roads are fairly easy to navigate, but a hire car will probably cost 100GBP for an automatic, and I'd say if you can afford it splash out on a private driver who might be able to recommend other places of interest.