Search

Train travel to Cinque Terre

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Val
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train travel to Cinque Terre

We are going to the Monterosso in early September and it will be the first time we have used the trains in Italy. Any tips on how to identify correct train, buying tickets, travelling from Pisa airport to Monterosso. It we cannot get on the correct train are the benches in the station comfortable for three nights.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:29 AM

Val , check trenitalia.com for schedules and fare. What you do put the date and time that you want to travel.for ex. Pisa- Monterosso 09/09/08
The best and easy way to go is to take a direct train, it means that you depart from pisa and arrive in Monterosso without changing the train..
I saw the schedules and if you look closely there are quite fews direct trains to Monterosso.
When you are at the station, look at the tv screen for your train number, and if you are uncertain ask somebody to help you.. Dont worry, there are quite fews trains going there, but dont forget to take the direct, is much easier and less scary.
Buon Viaggio,
Kismet
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 10:12 AM

Here's a tip I wish I had known, and probably should have recogized (we sometimes miss the obvious) 1st Class compartments have "1", and 2nd class have "2". Seems pretty silly, but I didn't get it until last train!!! I went Rome to Florence to Pisa to Monterosso al Mare to Milan to Verona to Vencie. No problem. Trains were easy to find. I usually had a specific time picked out, but if earlier one came I jumped on that one. I didn't reserve any seats, and had no problems.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:20 PM

I was nervous about train travel the first time I was in Italy...but it is pretty easy....Check-out trenitalia...that will show you the schedule...A loud speaker will announce which "binario" (track) your train will leave from....so knowing your numbers from 1-10 is a good idea..The announcement will also rattle-off most of the stops...so listen for Monterosso.
Also, when you buy your ticket...it must be validated...Look for the yellow boxes...stick ticket in...looks like a yellow time clock...It will stamp the time and date on the ticket..now you are legal to get on the train that day! Rick Steves does a good job of walking you through Italy train travel....Have fun! Maggie
Old Aug 25th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Val
Original Poster

Thank you for your advice it is really appreciated and we now feel more confident.