Reload this Page >

Train Travel- Italy- 2 questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 07:49 AM
nancy

Any help will be most appreciated in clearing up some confusion in my mind.<BR>1- Is there a difference in booking a ticket through Trenitalia and Train Europe?<BR>Trenitalia seems to be off-line until further notice.<BR><BR>If one knows about differences in costs,<BR>is it significant?<BR>or is it usually only a $10 or less on a $100 ticket?<BR><BR>2- what is the difference between a SEAT and a COUCHETTE?<BR>If I book 1st class with a couchette, it costs $15 more than just a seat.<BR><BR>thanks for any info anyone can provide!!!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:02 AM
elaine

a couchette is a sort of bunk bed in a small compartment that has a few couchettes (perhaps 4? 6? I don't know), they have to be reserved in advance, and they are for sleeping on overnight trips. There are also private sleeping compartments that are more expensive.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Myer

A ticket gets you on the train. A reservation makes sure you have a place to park yourself.<BR><BR>A reservation for a seat is just that. A couchette is a bed, usually 4 or 6 in a room and usually not private. You could have strangers in the room. Each room has a footprint for 2 beds. That means they will be bunked 2 or 3 high.<BR><BR>A sleeper is a room with 1 or 2 beds. Usually private. You do not have strangers in it. There is also usually a fold down sink in the sleeper room. The toilets are at the end of the car.<BR><BR>Obviously the sleep is much more expensive than a couchette and a seat.<BR>

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 01:03 PM
nancy

Thanks for clarifying the couchette question.<BR><BR>Does anyone have any advice or info on the Tranitalia situation?<BR><BR>they, being off -line until further notice, etc.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:28 AM
GAC

Trenitalia is not offline. You can still access schedules and fares.