Reload this Page >

Train Travel in Italy

Search

Train Travel in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 11:21 AM
Juliana

Train Travel in Italy

We will be travelling by train covering approx. 1000 km of distance among various cities and towns of Italy, in 5 or 6 days. Is it better to buy a Italian Kiometric Ticket or an "Any 8 days in 1 month flexi rail pass"? My understanding from Rick Steve's Book on Italy that Kilmometric pass doesn't cover fast-train supplements. Any suggestion?

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 03:56 PM
Anna

Dear Juliana, <BR>I can tell you all I know about the Kilometric ticket as I don't know at all the other one. The Km ticket is worth 3000 kms and you have 2 months of time to use it. It can be used by 1 to 5 people (they put the names on it). It costs 206.000 lire and it DOESN'T cover the supplements necessary to get on either intercity or eurostar trains. The good thing is that can be used by more than one person. As I'm a long distance commuter I always use the Km. ticket and I save about 15-20% on the regular fare. It is worth only if you are using all the 3000 Kms. otherwise I would avoid it. <BR>Good luck, <BR>Anna <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 05:38 PM
Juliana

Dear Anna: <BR> <BR>Thanks for your quick response. May I ask how much is a typical supplement is, e.g. from Venice to Milan. If I purchase point to point, is it alaways a long line up? <BR> <BR>Juliana

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 06:34 PM
Anna

My husband and I spent 2 weeks in Italy last year. We bought point to point tickets as we went along. It was not too big of a hassle to buy the tickets. The longest lines we encountered were in Florence. I would suggest buying your tickets the day before you travel or just arrive early at the train station to purchase them before you leave. The rail in Italy seems to be cheaper than most other countries in western Europe. <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 09:36 AM
Anna

Juliana, <BR>the supplements depend on the kind of train you choose and on the distance. <BR>You'll need a supplement for the EUROSTAR and the INTERCITY trains. The former are the faster, the more confortable and also the most expensive (you have to reserve a place at the same time you buy your supplement). <BR>The intercity, which used to be the best trains, have become a second choice rapid. <BR>Let's suppose that you travel in 2° class (I would avoid the first, and the kilometric ticket is only for 2 class) and you go from Florence to Venice (I know the fare for sure), your supplement would be L.11,500 (less than 6 US $) with an intercity and no seat reservation (if you reserve your seat is 5,000 lire more). <BR>The same Florence to Venice supplement in Eurostar, with reserved seat included, would be around 20,000 lire (a little bit more than10 $). If it's not a problem for you, choose the Eurostar, in case of strike, for instance, the Eurostar keep going, but not all the intercity go. <BR>If you choose the Eurostar, try to make your supplement with some advance (because of the reservation of the seat). You can also buy all your supplements (and reservations) in advance at a travel agency (no charges, same price of the station), because every supplement in Italy is valid two months and has to be validated before getting on the train. In this way you can save time, but you must plan in advance all your travel. <BR>Hope to have been understandable <BR>Anna <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 06:46 PM
Joanna

Anna, <BR>FYI I was able to buy a first class Kilometrico ticket in Australia in late 1996. Are these no longer available? It cost about $220US then (approx.)